Quiet Ducks?

FairyChicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
South Australia
Hello!
I'm interested in raising a duckling, but my household is reluctant because "they're too noisy" and the whole Ducks vs Chickens war is going to begin any moment now. :D I'm in Australia and was wondering if there are quiet ducks, or if they are noisy at all? (I've never owned a Duck before).
What do you think, Ducks vs Chickens? I've been researching like a fiend, and from what I can find, Ducks are easier than Chickens, but as an exclusively only chicken owner, I have no idea how true that is!

What do the experts here at Backyard Chickens think?

Here's some vocabluary you'll need to know for making a choice:

Duck- A female duck or the species itself. Ducks make a quaking noise and tend to be louder.

Drake- A male duck. They make a soft squeaking noise and tend to be prettier than chickens.

If your concerned with noise avoid the Calls all together.They were bred to be so loud that it would lure the wild ducks in for hunters. Mallards and East Indies are in the same class and they're quieter. Muscovies are honestly the quietest duck but they are the biggest (be warned)

Ducks make much more of a mess. For some odd reason they like making their food mushy with their water which is gross and needs to be watched. I don't see noise being as big of a problem as the Ammonia smell that ducks make faster. The whole chicken verses duck thing depends on what you own and how Bias you are. Just because of the mess they make I feel like chickens are for beginners.

Calls are honestly your households worst enemy it seems. If you have room and sources get Muscovies.

Thanks for replying! :)

We have a property that is around an acre, and in it, are two small hens who keep to themselves. We have a large shed-turned-coop, that has several different closed off areas so they can escape to their own private place if needed. Khaki Campbell's are the most popular suggestion from our poultry friends so far, although we come into contact with Muscovy Drakes nearly everyday where our horses live. I'd prefer a Duck for laying purposes, but I am not worried about owning a Drake. Between the noise our hens make when they lay, I've been told the noise of a Duck or Drake won't be an issue.

We have Light Sussex, a quiet breed chicken breed, but our Hook Bill ducks are, in comparison, much quieter. Just an occasional low 'wup wup wup wup' to each other if there's imagined peril (cat passing, being let out in the morning). No loud quacking and the drake is the same volume as the ducks, which is unusual but just goes to show how quiet these ducks are. They lay a good sized egg despite being smaller in size than most domestic ducks.

I have met Cayugas who are VERY quiet, but others say their's are a bit gobby. They tend to get bullied by other birds.

The farm where we found our Hook Bills had lots of breeds including Campbells, and they were relentless and deafening. They also had Aylesburys (proper type with the pink beak and feet) who lay well and did not quack in the hour or so we spent there. Apparently when quack it can be loud, but it's only every so often.....

I recommend getting a Pekin male. They are really sweet and really smart.

Here is a pic of my Pekin male- Named Drake

If you want quite ducks, I would get muscovys. Whether you get a duck or drake, the only sounds they make are trills and hisses. Though, if they are available In Australia, I dont know. I have chocolates, and including the magpie drake, all is quite. But.... including the pekin hen, you have a circus.

I have my own 2 pekins, both are like puppy dogs and really sweet. They grow fast though... so if you want a cute little duckling, they might not be the best.

Thanks for all the replies! :D The Pekin looks really sweet! I've seen a few adds for them here in Australia, so I am going to get researching!

Edit: I do have a quick question that I can't find a clear answer for, but when it comes to owning just a Drake for instance, is there a breeding season for them, or would they get frustrated if they don't have ducks to breed with?

Last edited:
Drakes are quiet but you would need to look for two as they get lonely without their own kind. I've been told a drake will mount chickens if he has no female and is not separated which has very serious consequences for the hens. I've also heard Pekin girls are pretty noisy.
Muscovys are ace. if I couldn't have Hook Bills I'd have Muscovys.
Good luck finding your ducks.

Hi. I disagree on runners & Mallrds being (noisy)
I have both (male&a female) and had them years. There not noisy but do softly quack for there dinner!
The best ducks to get are runners! The bad point are they can get messy. BUT! As large duck you'd think they'd eat,eat,eat & eat!
But no they do not. They pick at their food and only eat when hungry.
Mine love to find there own food (bugs,slugs,worms,weeds,grass) and I save so much on corn & pellets!
I'm in the UK & keep mine on a farm not in a avarage house on a street!
. Personally Indian runners need to have plenty of space!
I recommend runners any-day. There tame and beautiful. Also u can get many colours.
Cared for correctly you they can live happily and live for many years!

I have met Cayugas who are VERY quiet, but others say their's are a bit gobby. They tend to get bullied by other birds.

Cayugas are quiet when they're gossiping to each other and foraging around the yard. My girls loudly quack at me when it's feeding time, when they want a refresh on pool water, when they want company, etc.

I'd like to think that any duck breed females make noise at those times.

I seem to have two assigned talkers at any given time... two are quack yelling at me and the other two are silent. They'd be quieter if only one was the designated talker.

Back
Top Bottom