Quilting - Where To Begin?

I like to try out a chair before buying. And my comfy desk chair cost $8.00 at the university resale shop several years ago!
Mary

I have been watching for a good chair for ages at the resale shops. So far nothing worth buying.
I have that exact chair at work....though I rarely sit really. It is one that everyone with a sit down task seeks out.

Right now my "chair" is a wooden bar stool.....not adjustable and not very comfy.

Looking back, it seems to be you wish you could get the years back. I wish I would've taken time as a teenager, when my Grandmother was still of able mind, and asked her to teach me to sew a quilt. Years down the line and my Grandmother gone, I've been wanting to quilt for years now but have absolutely no idea how or where to begin. My husband and I have been saving some of our favorite pieces of clothing over the years, too filled with holes here and there to constitute wearing any longer, but enough material to save and make a patchwork quilt one day.

So quilters, I would really appreciate your help. How do I get started, what sort of materials do I need? Do I pad in between the patchwork and the backing? What sort of backing should I use? I have a mini sewing machine, but I would really enjoy going the long road and doing it by hand. What type of stitching style should I use? Any books, videos, websites, or personal tips are greatly appreciated.
How’s your quilting adventure going? I quilt. Some of The best videos for beginners are “quilt in a day” she is old school hilarious. What you are trying to accomplish with clothes you’ve been saving is admirable but it is also not what 99.9 percent of quilters do these days. you will want to collect older quilt books from Thrift stores and read up on it. However, much has changed in 50 years. Most modern day quilters use patterns, cut new fabric off the bolt with rotary cutters and mats, or die Cutters. you can look up you tube videos for the rest of your life about quilts if you want! Look for a local quilt store. They are great for beginners to take classes and gain valuable guidance. Beware they almost always sell sewing machines that are from $400 - $10,000. Price and value wise, You would be able to find an older singer or kenmore sewing machine for $20-$75 that will sew through everything including leather if you get into bag making. Look up vintage sewing machine groups ( not “featherweight” only groups because those machines are great old machines but they are very collectible so also costly.

Back
Top Bottom