Quotes and thoughts for the day

Amen!! Mine too!!!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Mine too!
ya.gif

I have a bit of a brighter story to share now. When I was so worried about Lemon I didn't pay much attention to everyone else. So, some things were missed. Anyways, last night I thought I lost one of my black australorps. All these crazy thoughts were moving like "the whole flock has something and they're randomly going to drop dead all over the yard". Yes, very dramatic. I walked into our small barn and didn't look much because I figured she'd make a noise if that was the place. (My BA's are very shy and whenever I'm around they make lots of noise) So I grabbed a flash light and walked the entire yard. Wood lines, tall weeds, every bush, etc. Not a sign. With my new handy flashlight I decided to check the small barn one more time. A few months ago we had stumbled upon the perfect secret nest and I had to check there. Sure enough she's back to laying in her "secret" nest and thought she'd hatch out...at the end of August. She hadn't layed there in a while so I had stopped checking weeks ago. There were 13 eggs...13! I don't know what made her think that was a possible feat in this state haha

This spot she has picked is between the wall and an old cupboard. There is literally just enough room for her to lay down and you have to physically walk over there and lean down in order to see her. We discovered it the first time by pure luck. Jim was looking for some tool that he hadn't looked for in ages and there was a nest of almost 16 or 17 eggs. Leave it to a stinker like Omelet to brighten our spirits around here a bit. I know this got lengthy, but I had to share. I'm thinking if she keeps a mind for hatching I may try to let her go for it next spring. I was tempted to now, but Jim brought me back to reality that a young chicken would struggle here in winter.

Shannon, good story! I'm glad you found that rascal...and sitting on 13 eggs! Chickens are just something else
love.gif

Shannon, good story! I'm glad you found that rascal...and sitting on 13 eggs! Chickens are just something else
love.gif

I couldn't believe it. And she was silent as a mouse. Usually when I get to close to the broodys they make that goofy high pitch squak. And the BA's are just noisy to begin with. Of course when I think I should give them up they have to do something to pull me right back in.
love.gif

My 2 BA's are moving to a friend's home this week. One is a pretty decent girl (other than the almost non-stop broodiness) but her sister is something else. She terrorizes everyone else in the flock, they're all afraid of her so that's not good. My friend knows what she's getting into and still wants them and she is experienced enough to handle them. I'm hoping it works out well for all of us. I'm glad you're having better luck with yours.

My BA has been a dream so far.....funny to her that others are not having the same luck. At my local Hacienda there is also a great Aussie, she likes to be pet when she's broody! Kind of funny girl.
lol.png

My BA, Annie, has to be my favorite, ever since she was a chick she has been the friendliest. I am yet to see any problems arise.

My BA has been a dream so far.....funny to her that others are not having the same luck. At my local Hacienda there is also a great Aussie, she likes to be pet when she's broody! Kind of funny girl.
lol.png

My BA, Annie, has to be my favorite, ever since she was a chick she has been the friendliest. I am yet to see any problems arise.

I guess we just got unlucky with our BA's. Everyone always raves about how sweet and people-friendly they are. Ours aren't and never have been, even when they were tiny chicks. Ours are skittish and bad tempered...must have been a "bad seed" in the gene pool somewhere.

Things should be quieter in our flock when they move. It has been disappointing, I've never had to re-home a chicken before.

It sounds like your BA fits right in with the typical descriptions I've read (and that's a good thing).

Back
Top Bottom