Quotes and Thoughts for the Day

Me too Nicky. Last year I was able to plant my first flowers. I chose a surprise batch of lilies...they looked great. Then my chickens ate them which is fine, but I'm a little sad nothing came back up this year. Maybe I'll have to dig it out and try something new.

I tried a rose bush around the same time, but it never had a chance. I accidentally ran it over with the lawn mower.
lau.gif

@NickyKnack beautiful flowers!

@COChix Congratulations on the hatch and sorry to hear about your loss
hugs.gif

@Bowleggedcowboy you came to mind immediately when I saw this:

Good morning everyone, just stopping by to say
frow.gif
and to share some pictures!

Well yesterday was a marathon day, it began at 5 am. When I went to bed Tuesday night we had one pip and woke up to 12 pips and one unzipping. We had hatches in waves yesterday, the first 8 moved pretty quickly once they got going. Then we rounded out the day with 4 more. The first pip ended up not hatching until almost 4 pm (they pipped around 4:18pm Tuesday) and I had to partial assist. Her shell had gotten stuck as she zipped down towards the floor rather than around. Anyway long story short, after all day of her trying to unzip all the way she couldn't. So I moistened the membrane and then was able to get most of the shell off. There was still about 1/4 stuck to her, that eventually came off and she is doing ok. The first wave seemed pretty robust a healthy, the second wave definitely seemed more small and a little more fragile.

So right now we have 12 from yesterday, two that just hatched and two more currently unzipping and a hand full in the bator still. Here are a few pics of the gang from last night.

Here is the one I assisted, so I didn't pull the shell all the way off, I moistened the membrane (it was dry, brownish/yellow) and then turned the egg over and pulled the membrane back some and the shell partial off. She was able to free herself eventually.

It was the strangest thing, in the middle of dealing with hatching etc, I decided to go check on the flock. I went out and started slopping their fermented feed into their feed pans when I noticed one of our dark Cornish. She was laying lifeless on the ground. I walked over and picked her up and she seemed dead. She wasn't cold yet, she wasn't stiff. I picked her up and examined her some. No visible injuries, my BF then started to go over her body. He tried giving her some air, nothing. It did seem as if her vent was protruding some, not all the way outside of her body but it was fairly swollen and reddish. The best we can figure is she died while being mounted by our roo. She was the runt of the litter and was rather small. It was just a very odd day, bringing in babies and saying goodbye to a flock member. We have now come full circle with our flock from just over a year ago. It doesn't seem possible that it has been a year since we started this journey. I am already exhausted from baby duties the last couple of days.

Given everything that happened yesterday, I couldn't be more proud of our flock. And hey I am doing the baby chick dance!
jumpy.gif

Aww, you have lots of babies. Very cute, and nice job on the assisting. I also had to assist, two. I have 5 new babies. 3 OE's and 2 Marans. Here is another chicken dance. :)
yippiechickie.gif

I love these flowers. I plant them on the North side of our house in May. They do well there. I love your color. I just may have to get red this yr! :)

LL

I had the 5 hatch. They are doing really well today. Thank you for asking. I will try and get photos today. :)

Back
Top Bottom