Rabbit Broken Toe

balloonflower

Chirping
Jul 25, 2016
Hey all,

So I think one of my does broke one of her back toes today. Had her in with a buck, and the toe got caught in the wire bottom, she was trying to shift and free it, but the oblivious buck wasn't helping. I heard her whimpers and pulled him off, then was able to back her up to free the foot. But, it majorly swelled, with a couple small scrapes but not bleeding badly.

I wrapped her foot up with some vet wrap to keep her from bugging it, and placed her in a transport cage so she can't move around so much. Is there anything else I can do? I don't think it's a huge deal, and she'll heal up if it doesn't get an infection.

I think you've done everything you can. Just keep her foot wrapped to the best of your ability and monitor her for signs of infection or other problems, such as gastrointestinal stasis due to stress.

The abrasions and the swelling together make infection a greater risk. You just need to keep your eyes on it as in changing the wrapping regularly, at least once every two days after the first couple of days with daily changes. I would be using an antibiotic on the area just in case also. As to the broken toe itself, I think that there really is not much you can do other than wrap her paw for support while healing takes its natural course.

Two days later it's still swollen. Doesn't look any better any worse. It didn't seem to bother her when I was checking it out, so not seeing any signs of infection. Wrapped it back up, and moved her to a slightly larger transport carrier.

She is doing fine. I took the wrapping off a couple days ago, and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. It's still swollen, but hard. She doesn't flinch or show any signs of discomfort when I pinch or move her toes as I check. I don't feel anything that would lead me to believe it's infected. So, I'm about to let her back into the larger cage. May try to rebreed this weekend, but more controlled tabletop rather than caged.

Good to know because...yep, one of my 5-week-old kits broke her toe two days ago. It looks bruised and swollen and feels hard, but it is pretty much the same. She does not mind me touching it, does not favor it, hops around like all the rest, acts like there is no pain there. I did not wrap it and left her in with her mama and sibs, but I did put a homemade salve on it twice a day to help reduce the swelling and possible infection in case she catches it on anything that would make it bleed.

Back
Top Bottom