Rabbit Hunting/Trapping

We shoot our rabbits that we eat. That is the fastest way I think. If you don't have a gun or in city/town limits them use something heavy to hit them in the head. Here we can shoot jack rabbits and cottontails all year round.

Like daisy_dukers said about only eating them nov-feb, that is a good rule of thumb.

Our rabbits here get ticks and other things really bad here during the hot months. We only eat them if it has been cold enough to kill of the ticks. They can also carry lime desease and others. When you open them up you can look at there liver and other organs to make sure they don't have any parisites. Also wearing gloves is a good idea.

I know that you can kill dove with an airsoft gun but they are a lot more brittle then a rabbit. You might not kill them you might just really hurt them if you shoot them in the head. A BBgun would do the job and be a better bet then an airsoft gun.

Last edited:
Just make sure with a BBgun you pump it enough you want it to kill them.
wink.png

Just bleed them out like you would for a chicken. Hang them upside down by their feet and cut their jugular. That will help the meat to keep longer if you're going to refrigerate or freeze it.

Dan

In RI Rabbit hunting season is from Oct. 17 - end of Feb. The rabbit trapping season in RI is Nov. 1 - Jan. 31. Additionally, you must have the appropriate license (hunting and/or trapping) and abide by additional regulations relating to the size of trap you are using and tagging your traps with your name, address and license number.

In GA, rabbits and squirrels get a parasite we call "wolls" which are rather large and fat grub-type larvae which burrow under the skin. It's pretty nasty to clean a squirrel and see a couple wolls squirming around (squirrel season has already started here). After the first frost, the wolls are no longer a problem. Around here, rabbit season doesn't open until after the first frost. Looks like that's the case in RI as well - probably for good reason.

"I was taught never to eat animals caught in a leg hold trap or snare because they haven't been bled out. Also if it's caught in a trap you cannot be sure it's not a sick rabbit if you haven't seen it running. The Bible states we are not to eat or drink the blood of aniamals. Deuteronomy 12:23 12:16"

Trapped animals are fine. Most snares are set to kill the animal, though some are more designed as restraining devices. A foot hold trap does not only not usually kill an animal, if it is a trap of the proper size for the prey it usually does no permanent damage if the animal isn't held too long.

If there are spots on the liver, don't eat it. Pretty much all wild animals have parasites. Thus the need to cook and not eat the meat raw or under cooked.

Tularemia (very common in pork as well) will be killed by normal cooking. That is why we are counseled to well cook pork.

Healthy animals may have disease, but not advanced enough to see signs and symptoms. I.e., just because an animal looks and acts healthy, doesn't mean it isn't carrying something. Unless you are only eating domesticated critters that have been vaccinated, wormed, etc... you have some exposure.

Not bleeding animals does not necessarily make for bad meat, but we prefer to do it.

Relative to the scripture, all things also with common sense. If you eat meat, you are consuming blood. There is no way short of long term soaking in cold water that is periodically re-freshened that I know of to get all the blood out. You will find that that type of meat is less than desirable in texture and flavor.

I kill domestic rabbits with a pellet gun to the head, point blank. I used to break the neck but the pellet is quicker and doesn't bruise any meat. The same thing should work for a wild rabbit in a trap. Skinning and dressing is easy. Cut the head off and hang by the feet to bleed out. Cut around the hind feet and around the anus and peel the skin off like removing a sweater. The pelt will be inside out. Slit up the front to open the chest cavity and remove the guts, liver, heart and kidneys. It's that simple.

Back
Top Bottom