Rabbit keeping question

Quote:
the purina these guys are talking about is the old complete blend. which was corn free. I believe they have had that formula for years.

The one I have always used is the basic Rabbit Chow, in the green bag. As far back as I can remember, it has always had corn in it. The percentage may have changed, but there have always been tiny yellow bits in the pellets that are obviously coarsely ground corn, and an occasional whole kernel (oops!) in the bags. A few years ago, when the price of corn skyrocketed almost overnight, I had a serious case of sticker shock the next time I went to the feed store. The price of the Rabbit Chow had nearly doubled, and I was told it was because of the price of the corn in it.

I will say, that I am thinking about changing what I feed. My rabbits' coats are dense, and supple, and all the things they should be, but they just look a little dull. I have seen rabbits as shows with coats that almost glow, and I figure, if I want my rabbits to be competitive, they have to look that good, too! I can't move the herd indoors, as some breeders I know have, but I am willing to tweak my feeding program a bit.

You should be able to feed the Purina Complete if you are worried about corn
smile.png
Congrats on the new bunny!

Quote:
the purina these guys are talking about is the old complete blend. which was corn free. I believe they have had that formula for years.

The one I have always used is the basic Rabbit Chow, in the green bag. As far back as I can remember, it has always had corn in it. The percentage may have changed, but there have always been tiny yellow bits in the pellets that are obviously coarsely ground corn, and an occasional whole kernel (oops!) in the bags. A few years ago, when the price of corn skyrocketed almost overnight, I had a serious case of sticker shock the next time I went to the feed store. The price of the Rabbit Chow had nearly doubled, and I was told it was because of the price of the corn in it.

I will say, that I am thinking about changing what I feed. My rabbits' coats are dense, and supple, and all the things they should be, but they just look a little dull. I have seen rabbits as shows with coats that almost glow, and I figure, if I want my rabbits to be competitive, they have to look that good, too! I can't move the herd indoors, as some breeders I know have, but I am willing to tweak my feeding program a bit.

got to disagree. No it hasn't always had corn. I always read feed labels when I pick up my feed. The old stuff never listed corn as an ingredient. The new green bag does. due to them changing the formula. The basic rabbit chow is the complete blend. It was corn free. Usually when you see corn is after they have cleaned things and ran the feed through it. Thats what i was told anyhow.

Quote:
Purina complete has corn in it. They would want to feed the new show formula. Which has no corn.

I've kept my 2 flemish giants and chickens together in the same pen for 2 years without any trouble, but...the rabbits do not have access to the coop which is where the chicken's food is kept. The pen is huge and I am pretty diligent about keeping it as clean as possible. They actually lay together in the sun sometimes like buddies:)

Back
Top Bottom