Rabbit Kindling

Chicks 'n ducks

Songster
6 Years
Jan 23, 2018
Northern Colorado
Hello rabbit people of BYC,
I have a Dwarf Hotot on day 30 of pregnancy, this is her first time. Earlier today she was building a nest and haystaching. Then she pulled fur and lined her nest. Nothing has happened since then. I have read that after they pull fur kindling shortly follows. She has been sitting scrunched up, eyes closed, for a while now. Can I expect babies by tomorrow morning? Or should I be concerned that she has a stuck kit? It's also worth mentioning that I had her mom too and she gave birth on day 30. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I've had such bad luck with breeding recently that I thought I would ask.

I have read that after they pull fur kindling shortly follows.

Many does pull fur and give birth within a single night.
Some does pull fur a few days early.
I have no idea what your doe will choose to do.

She has been sitting scrunched up, eyes closed, for a while now. Can I expect babies by tomorrow morning? Or should I be concerned that she has a stuck kit?

What rabbit experience I have is with medium to large breeds, not dwarfs. They almost never had stuck kits, so I am not good at recognizing symptoms of that.

I do know that almost all litters were born during the night. So I would probably wait until morning, then check and see how she's doing.

I also know that disturbing a doe who's close to kindling can cause trouble (like bunnies all over the cage because she keeps hopping in and out of the nestbox to see what's going on.) So I tend to leave them to get on with it, and hope for the best. It's usually worked fine.

But because you have a dwarf, and I think dwarfs are more likely to have stuck kits, I'm not entirely sure what would be right in this particular case.

Back
Top Bottom