Rabbit problem

jnicholes

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Dietrich, Idaho
Hi everyone,

I have an interesting problem with Sophie, my rabbit.

The details, she is eight years old this year. She is a Netherland dwarf Californian mix. Not spayed.

Yesterday, my mother went out to feed her and Sophie bit my moms hand HARD.

Today, I went out to feed her myself, and while I was reaching for her food bowl, she bit me, twice. Not as hard as when she bit my mother, though.

She has a history of being a “Monty python” rabbit, but she has NEVER bitten any human before.

Could it be spring hormones? What’s the problem? Why is she suddenly biting me and my family?

I hope it’s not rabies.

Can someone help me figure this out?

Jared

Hi everyone,

I have an interesting problem with Sophie, my rabbit.

The details, she is eight years old this year. She is a Netherland dwarf Californian mix. Not spayed.

Yesterday, my mother went out to feed her and Sophie bit my moms hand HARD.

Today, I went out to feed her myself, and while I was reaching for her food bowl, she bit me, twice. Not as hard as when she bit my mother, though.

She has a history of being a “Monty python” rabbit, but she has NEVER bitten any human before.

Could it be spring hormones? What’s the problem? Why is she suddenly biting me and my family?

I hope it’s not rabies.

Can someone help me figure this out?

Jared
She has an attitude problem. I'd guess she's mad cause you don't play with her often enough so y'all are scaring her.

I'd barbecue my rabbit if he bit me.

She has an attitude problem. I'd guess she's mad cause you don't play with her often enough so y'all are scaring her.

I'd barbecue my rabbit if he bit me.

You could be right. I need to play with her more often anyway. Might as well give that a shot and see if it fixes the problem.

Considering her age, I wouldn't be surprised if she has something bugging her. I would probably check her over for any fur mats, bugs, etc. If it's something that continues I would consider taking her to the vet to make sure she doesn't have arthritis or something.

Unfixed females tend to be more hormonal.

Does she live outdoors? From your first post it sounds like that’s the case.

I’d bet it’s a mix of not being super bonded to you/comfortable around you and hormones.

Unfixed females tend to be more hormonal.

Does she live outdoors? From your first post it sounds like that’s the case.

I’d bet it’s a mix of not being super bonded to you/comfortable around you and hormones.

Had her since 2014. She does live outside. She has a good bond with me.

I bet you are right, maybe it’s hormones.

She’s mad as a March hare!

Back
Top Bottom