Rabbit ?s

amyfamily

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Hi!
We are looking at getting a rabbit or 2 for my daughter. I have been looking at Holland Lops and Lionheads. Any advice?
Is it better to get a girl or a boy rabbit? Or is one even better over the other?
Thanks!!

I raised rabbits for several years and have just started up again. i raised jersey woolies, holland lops, and Polish
bun.gif

a few questions and a few things to think about.

first, do you have any plans on breeding? i don't know much about lionheads (personally, i think they are just jersey woolies with bad hair days
tongue.png
), but holland lops are surprisingly difficult to breed. they have a lot of dead babies. they make great pets though (be careful of overfeeding, they will eat anything and everything if given the chance).

as for male vs female, males can spray, which is gross, and females can become territorial (attacking when in their cage, perfectly sweet out of it). so there are differences, but you have to decide which you would rather deal with. and not all will become a problem; most of the girl rabbits i've had have been great and only a few boys were a problem.

if you get two rabbits, two boys will fairly likely fight. two girls will play ok together as long as they have their own cages. and we all know what will happen if you have one of each
wink.png

if it were me, i would get two holland lop girls, but like i said, i am a little biased. i'd take jersey woolies over either
big_smile.png
(they just take a little more brushing but are usually super sweet). hope this helps
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom