Rabbit Thread

Hi I have 2 female mini lop rabbits. There names are Poppet and Stellar.
I absolutely adore them :love
DC21B0A5-999C-4412-9DFC-C03085E32118.jpeg

Aww, I used to have a bunny years ago. I bought her from a family that was raising them. She was white with black ears and spots. Her name was Marbles; by the way I am very certain she was a female because she was a growler. She continuously had trouble with ear mite. Home treatment wasn't helping. About three years later it had gotten so bad I had no choice but to take her to the vet. He flushed her ears out nice and clean, but she went downhill and wouldn't eat. I had to have her put down. :hit

Thanks. She may have been awful at times, but she was still my furry buddy. I just don't seem to keep a good reputation with pets. They either get sick and die or I have to get rid of them, which is why after parting with my chickens a few days ago I am THROUGH with pets.

Maybe someone here can answer a question for me. The cage is all wire, 36 X 42. I have built a metal box (hinged top cover for inspection, hinged side cover for cleaning & disinfection) that is 12 X 18 X 9 high that I will attach to the OUTSIDE of the cage. For kindling, extra weather protection, etc. All those details have been worked out. My question is about the size of the opening from the cage proper into the box. I will leave 3 inches from the floor of the box to help keep kits inside. That only leaves 6 inches to the top....although life for me would be easier (for attachment of the box to the cage) if the opening were only 5 inches high. Width is no problem. Would a 5 X 5 (or 5 X 6 or 8) opening be large enough for a 10-12 lb rabbit to comfortably use?

Maybe someone here can answer a question for me.
Ok. I partially answered my own question last night. Within 5 minutes of lying down, inspiration hit me. I can install a baby saver barrier INSIDE the box. But it left me with ANOTHER question. How high should the barrier be to dislodge "hangers-on" but still allow the kits to clamber out before they are processing size?
I do some of my most inspired work in bed. Not romantically, but otherwise! LOL. Maybe tonight I'll answer the other question. But back to the original. What IS the optimal opening size, to allow easy access for the rabbit, while still limiting weather, wind, or drafts?

Back
Top Bottom