rabbit with broken leg???

Can anyone help me ASAP!? My rabbit just jumped of the top floor on her hutch down to the bottom and I think she's really really hurt her back leg. She tripped over her food bowl and fell face first but I think she caught her back leg while falling at the fencing at the back of the cage and I heard her just rip her leg back to her body. I've took her out and put her on the grass, she can hop but she just lifts her back leg up to herself and she puts her weight onto her other leg. I touched her leg and she just tried to bite me when I got higher up... She seems like she's in a lot of pain and she doesn't seem the same. I put her back into her cage and she was just grooming herself as the grass was wet... She just hopped up to her bed and hasn't hardly moved since, I don't know if it's broken or sprained?? Someone please help!

vet vet vet

only an x-ray can tell for sure if it is broken. the biggest danger is shock, which a vet can also help prevent.
I hope that she is ok....

My precious nine year old daughter just came to me, screaming, with her bunny. The bunny's back left foot is hanging, looking like the joint is detatched. I have absolutely no money for a vet. What do you think I can do?

How does it feel? Does if feel like it is detached or does it feel like it is still in the socket? If it is a bad sprain it will get better on its own.

If the leg is broken or detached, it may be more humane to put the rabbit down. Without pain meds, this can be horrible for an animal to go through, and the healing process is quite long. If it's just sprained, then the rabbit should be better in time. I've also seen paralysis in rabbit hind ends and that may be another possibility, but it's difficult to tell without seeing the animal for myself.

I have a similar situation... One of the kits in my litter of rabbits looks different. It's hind legs kind of stick out and all of the kits were squirming alot but he was squirming the most when I checked on them and he was screaming... I'm really scared. What if he doesn't survive?
I can't help you with your situation, I'm having trouble with my own sorry.

We had a similar issue. The bunny got underfoot and her front paw got stepped on. Spoke with a rather experienced breeder who confirmed, due to the severity and location, she would have put it down. Something we chose to do in order to be as humane as possible. The vet said it would cost around $3k and even then there was no guarantee. So very sad. Conversely, we were also told that had it been a back leg, it would have been easier to fix and splint.

I had a rabbit with a broken leg about 10 years ago and was broke at the time. We ended up confining her for 6-8 weeks in a small cat carrier and she healed just fine.

Our 3 month old Holland lop fractured her leg today (we are not sure how). We took her to the vet. The xrays showed broken with fragments floating around. The vet talked about surgery to set it and put it in a hard cast ($600-$1000+) or amputating (up to $600 but if complications then more $$ down the road). I asked to just bandage it tightly to see if that might work. Sounds like it worked for others here? We r heartbroken (this is my 8 yr old daughter's new bunny) so would love any tips and tricks. The vet did give us pain meds to administer morning and night. I am posting a pix. We have her in her crate still with her sister. Bad idea? We put down cardboard for now since we'll be replacing the wire bottom since that's one theory how she got a broken leg...what kind of cage bottoms do u all use for bunnies? The vet told me wire is terrible and they see lots of broken legs due to it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Back
Top Bottom