Rabbit with sudden neurological issue

MiniatureCochin

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Hey ya'll,
I have a rabbit (domestic escapee) who has been living loose in our yard for over a month now, and I've be unable to catch her. Anyway, she was okay till today---when I came out to feed the other caged rabbits, she wasn't walking right. She sort of weaved and fell on her side, then got up hopped a foot or two and fell down again. Now, she's basically lying on her side and falls over if she tries to get up.
I'm probably going to go put her down soon, but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas what it might be?
I don't think it's a broken back because I've seen that before and it's not the same thing. Oh, and I've had domestic rabbits get out and live in our garden for months without issues.

Thanks,

MC

yes it could be wry neck( encephalitozoon cuniculi; EC) or a severe inner ear infection> both can be fatal. If she is already at the point of not being able to balance to even sit then I fear it wont be long now, recently had a rabbit with EC & there was nothing the vet could do & he passed away within a few days of the first visual symptoms (head tilt, off balance, no eating, falling over, lots of sleeping) It's a very sad thing to have to see your bun go thru all that- If you have the means to be able to nicely put it down then that's what I would do.

Never easy having to make that decision
Goodluck with everything

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I put her down this morning. I am curious---what is the actual cause of wry neck? I've heard of it, but not really what causes it. As in, how do they get the parasites? (Since this is the only time out of 5-6 escapees I've had in the last 2years)

Last edited:
Thank you for being able to end her suffering. It's a sad thing when our beloved furry friends become so ill

"Something to note here, if you have an infected rabbit who lives with other rabbits, is that most certainly by the time you see the outward signs of clinical disease, it is well past any contagious stage. The parasites are no longer in the kidneys. However, the spores that have been shed in the urine can remain in the environment for another month. Other rabbits can pick up spores from the environment for several weeks after the infected rabbit has stopped shedding. And since many other animal species can carry and shed these parasites, a rabbit who runs on the ground outdoors is more likely to pick them up." Source:: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-2/e-cuniculi.html

Anything could have really done it's business around the area & the lil one gotten into it. Or it may have already been carrying it & from being out loose in the elements had a drop in the immune system, enough to allow the parasite to multiply

Looks to be that rabbits with weaker immune systems tend to fall victim to this parasite multiplying & developing into full blown horribleness :(

Another thought from some articles that I have read is that kits can contract it from their mother from a very young age (most don't get actually have it manifest) I may be wrong but I believe that about 80% of rabbits carry it without it becoming a problem.

I've looked up so many things that I may be mixing that percentage up so I'm sorry if I did.

Hi there,

I've heard one one case of E. Cuniculi (first time I had come across this disease), it doesn't seem to be very nice :(
From reading around on the net it is possible that they carry it from an early age (having been exposed through the mothers milk), but
bugs can carry it too and spread of from one infected animal to another.

http://www.uk-pet-rabbits.4t.com/about.html

If the rabbit has been running around in the garden for a little while she may have hurt herself - I know one time on of my hares
was in a run in the garden and a local came and gather her a bit of bother (luckily we was the other end of the garden and able to stop
the cat before it done any damage), but if a rabbit becomes scared they can injure themselves. Its just an idea.

Might be worthwhile keeping an eye on all the other bunnies as I think E. Cuniculi can infect other rabbits.

I know its of little consolation, but I think you did they right thing in putting her down - ending her suffering was a kind thing to do.

iFairy x

So they pick E.cuniculi from the ground? ick. That is not comforting! Right now, most of my rabbits are on cages off the ground, but I've got 2 litters of rabbits in runs on the ground. I guess I'll have to watch in case anyone else starts walking funny.

Thanks for all the responses!

Back
Top Bottom