rabbit?

This works great with rabbit.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Grandma’s Chicken Gumbo
Make a dark roux with 2 cups of flour and about 1 cup of oil.
(You can buy ready made roux but homemade is the best, if you want to make you own but don't know how...Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the oil and flour into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven and whisk together to combine. Place on the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered, and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3 times throughout the cooking process.)
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 gallon of water
1 large hen (an old hen makes the best gumbo)
6 chicken bullion cubes
1 pound of good smoked sausage (Cut into bite size pieces)
1 large onion (Chopped)
1 bell pepper (Chopped)
2 stalks celery (Chopped)
3 tablespoons liquid smoke (leave this out if using smoked meat)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1 bunch green onions (chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Cut the chicken in half and place it in a large stockpot with the water and the rest of the ingredients. Simmer uncovered for a couple of hours, or until chicken is tender, remove the chicken from the pot place it in a bowl and put it in the refrigerator to cool. Turn the fire off under the pot, allow to sit while chicken is cooling, all the fat will rise to the top.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]With a large spoon skim fat off the top of the gumbo.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Pick the chicken off the bone and add it back to the pot and heat it through; season with salt and pepper to taste.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You can substitute just about anything for the chicken. Guinea foul and wild game works very well, squirrels, ducks, geese, rabbits, turkey, quail, pheasant, ect. Just make sure to simmer it long enough to get it tender.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Serve over rice in soup bowls. [/FONT]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rabbit is good cooked in a crockpot with onions and brown gravy and served with rice or mashed potatoes.

stifatho, a greek recipe
here served with rice

here served with polenta

one better than other
droolin.gif

Rabbit mushroom stew with garlic ... this is what my family requests when I give them rabbit as a choice.

Brown rabbit pieces in a mix of butter and olive oil. Set aside.
Add two onions chopped rather large to oil in pan and saute until they start to wilt, salting as necessary.
Add one pound quartered crimini mushrooms and one pound quartered button mushrooms along with four cloves of garlic crushed. Cook til wilted.
Pour in one cup white wine or 1/4 cup lemon juice with 3/4 cup chicken broth to deglaze pan (scraping all the brown bits from the pan).
Replace the rabbit pieces and cover with water or broth.
Add 1/2 tsp rubbed sage or rosemary, depending on taste.
Cover and simmer until rabbit is done and comes away from the bone.
Remove rabbit pieces and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile add 3 or 4 cut up carrots to the pot and simmer to cook.
Remove rabbit from bones and chop into largish pieces and return to the pot.
Thicken with a flour water mix or a cornstarch water mix to how thick you like it.
Salt and pepper to taste.

In the winter I add some kale at the same time as the carrots.

We love this served with fresh made biscuits and homemade jam. I use elderflower wine which is a little bit sweetish. You can also use any mushroom combination you want.

When we were raising rabbits, I found that ANY chicken recipe could be used with rabbit. I also ground up the meat and used it in my chili, awesome.

Cut rabbit into sections,
Roll in flour, salt and pepper to taste.
Brown in skillet with bacon grease or olive oil
Lay pieces of bunny in slow cooker or crock pot.
Cover with onions, Cream of mushroom and Cream of celery soup, Half the milk to keep soup thick.
Cook until done, serve on rice or noodles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom