Rabbits..doe to except another doe? New bunny here

Farmer Kitty

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Wisconsin
We had a sad Saturday morning as Peanut's rabbit (Frosting) broke out of the pen and one of the cats killed it. DH has promised another rabbit for her. We stil have Kute Kittens rabbit (Sandy). Frosting and Sandy were litter mates that shared the same pen. It's a 6' x 6' dog kennel convererted over for them. They are mini rexes.

My question is what are the chances of Sandy excepting another doe for a friend. I know we would have to separate them at first for introductions but, will it be possible to put them together eventually? Anyone ever tried? Sandy is lonely right now (didn't even eat much over the weekend) but, would she accept another rabbit?

I did fix the spot and improved it so hopefully, we don't have this happen again.

Last edited:
They'll do fine together. They will hump each other at first to establish dominance, but they will be fine. Take them for a car ride together in a non-bunny used box, It helps them look to each other for comfort. Sorry about your bun.
sad.png
hugs.gif

Yeah, I expect some arguments and such to establish things. I would never have thought of taking them for a car ride together--what a great idea!

Thank you.

IMO, not very good. Even does have hormones and can easily become territorial-which your girl is likely to be.

Your best bet would be getting her spayed if she isn't already, and getting your new rabbit fixed, too. There's a big long 'bonding' process that is supposed to make things easier, but even the folks I've known with supposedly bonded rabbits have had some serious fights.

Thanks guys!

The pen is 6' x 6'. I would think with that big of pen they can manage to either share all or pick their territory. If not, they will have to settle for half of it each.

DH checked with the breeder we got Frosting from and he didn't have any bunnies to go. So, we decided to wait until they had a litter to go. They called DH yesterday and told him they are thinking of getting out of selling bunnies so are not going to breed any. He did offer to sell one of his does and DH got one. And surprised Peanut with her.

So far Sandy is not happy with her and chases her and will attack. I've got the crate out and Fur (Peanut's new bunny) in it inside the kennel. I let her out this morning while we were around doing chores and Sandy still was not to happy with her. I will keep trying to introduce them. I'm sure it will take sometime so, I'm not in a hurry and the crate is good sized so that's not a concern either.

Here is a pic of Fur. She is a year and a half old and is a mini rex.

Fur.jpg

Back
Top Bottom