Rabbits staying outside question

greenthumb89

Songster
11 Years
May 30, 2008
pulaski wisconsin
ok now that i have chickens and someone needs to stay home to take care of them my mother wants to get a couple of meat rabbits from a local source. the person that has them keeps them outside all winter long, they are california mixes with a couple of other large rabbits mixed in. the houses are about 3feet long 2-3feet deep and about 2 feet tall. then there is a "room" in the back for when winter comes it is entirely coverd and straw is put in it to help te rabbit stay warm. the hutches are wire on the front and on one side and bottom and there is a wooden wall between 2 cages.

my question is how do they keep the water from freezing up all winter long. i asked about the rabbits always being outside and they always are...i really want the rabbits but my father wants the answer to this before we get any more.

i have had rabbits before but they were in barn with the chickens that stayed pretty warm all winter long so didnt have this problem before...

Just a suggestion...mind you I am in Texas and that is not something we ever have to worry about, freezing anything outside. But maybe you could hang a light right over the water bowl. Just a thought.

I would too if I had to wear a permanent fur coat!!!
lau.gif

I have had rabbits outside in hutches and in the barn in cages. We use the heavy rubber feed bowls for their water and pop the ice out of them. We change their water at least twice a day, to help keep them hydrated and warm. We have hung heat lamps over them and this helps in the barn. You can buy heated water bottles and heated bowls made specifically for rabbits (you can't use the dog type ones, as they will chew the plastic and wires) but they are pricey, between $20-30 each. Fine if you only have 1-2 rabbits, but we have a dozen. Water bottles (unless the heated ones) do not work well in the winter as they freeze too quickly.

Depending on where you are and the temp, hot water can freeze faster than cold, so that doesn't always work.

I have outside rabbits and they do really well in winter here. We just change out the water bottle twice a day (once in the morning and once at dusk), plus supplement with apples for moisture when the water freezes. I've never had any problems and also find they are less stressed in winter than summer here.

Jody

Californain rabbits really thrive the best in cool and cold weather. They struggle in high summer heat. The show breeder I got mine from said he enever worries about his stock unless the temps are in the minus 0 ranges.

My rabbitry is a 3 sided barn with the cages around the perimeter with windows that draw a good cross breeze. Mine are most often laying int he direct flow of that air.

I have rabbits outside year round. In the winter I put cold water in the water dish. The water has to warm up before it can freeze. Then you might only have to change the water twice a day.

I was just reading this post and had an idea they have those plug in wipey or bottle warmers that velcro around the bottle or container would this work to keep unthawed.

Back
Top Bottom