Rabbits with splayed legs

chickenwhisperer

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
Chicken Country, U S A
I was contacted by a person who wants me to take in 2(TWO) young rabbits that have splayed back legs.
At this point, that is all I know, dont know cause(slippery floor/genetics) or the exact age of the bunnies.

I did a bit of research on the subject, and the outcome is usually grim, or a lot of work to have to keep them going.

I do not know if the condition could possibly be fixed with simple hobbling.

The person bought these rabbits from craigslist, to rescue them from being snake food, but now is desperate to get rid of them because of the care involved.

She says her only other option is euthanasia, which, from my preliminary reading, seems to me like maybe its the most humane thing to do.

Just thought Id see if anybody here has some insight as to whether Id be biting off more than I can chew with taking in 2 disabled rabbits.
But, I like to help when and if I can . . .

Tho i can care for all my many animals in a responsible manner, I am in NO position FINANCIALLY to deal with 2 rabbits that need to go to the vet frequently, and some folks already know my opinion of vets . . .
roll.png

Honestly, I have hatched splayed legged chicks, and have been able to correct about 2/3s of them simply by sticking them in small tight shot glasses, and the persistent cases became food for my reptiles . . .
It doesnt seem so easy with rabbits . . .

I need as much opinion on this as I can get before I can convince myself to make this commitment, as, sadly, I am leaning towards telling her to go ahead and have them euthanized.

PS- I have come to the conclusion that I can not kill and eat a cute bunny, so unfortunately thats out . . .
Why did all my other 5 rescued rabbits have to be sooo cute and friendly . . .
wink.png

Last edited:
You are not going to like my answer. It would have been better for all concerned if these rabbits had become snake food. After all, the snake has to eat, too. These rabbits are not going to have any quality of life. Just euthanizing them is a waste. They could feed someone or something and in doing so their lives could have mean something....

First, do not take the rabbits. Spay leg is a slow death for the animal. The most humane thing to do is destroy. If you don't want to eat them, then Euth. I would not want to go through the slow destruction of life these bunnies will ... It is the old quanitity of life vs quality of life. they will have no quality of life. As a breeder, these kits are destroyed when the problem is discovered. It is usually seen in small litters where a kit gets too much of a good thing (mother's milk) and grows too fast too early. The bones in the hind legs push out to make room for the expanding belly. They never come back into place. As a vet tech, I have tried working with these animals, but in the end it was a futal attempt. Sorry for the news.

I'm with cassie too. I don't know why people think winding up as snake food is a fate to be avoided at all costs. Responsible snake owners only feed live prey in extreme situations, because they don't want to risk the snake being harmed by struggling prey. They know how to kill quickly and humanely, once the animal is dead, what difference does it make what happens to the body? At least as snake food, the life wasn't wasted.

In a perfect world, every bunny born in my rabbitry would be show quality, have a wonderful personality, and have a loving home eagerly waiting for it. But that's not reality. The sad fact is, there are some that weren't meant for a long, happy life. It's unfair, but that's life. Selling rabbits as food animals depresses me (I love to see them go into pet homes, and love to hear tales of how they do afterward), but I see it as the price I pay for breeding them.

We have a 5 week kit that has front splayed legs. Are the problems the same with front as it is for rear legs? She otherwise seems healthy and hops around well so far. I saw a post on another board that mentioned correcting it by bracing, but if there are other health issues likely that doesn't really correct the problem.

I think its sad your saying to kill the rabbit. My daughter has a rabbit with splayed legs we love her. They can live a happy life and if theres no other problems there braces to correct the problems

I think its sad your saying to kill the rabbit. My daughter has a rabbit with splayed legs we love her. They can live a happy life and if theres no other problems there braces to correct the problems

The original post is from 2010 so it's likely the participants are no longer around!

Back
Top Bottom