Rabbits

I've only raised one rabbit and it was a very rewarding experience. I think rabbits have wonderful personalities and can make excellent pets if raised properly.

We just got three rabbits mid- September that are meat rabbits. We wanted to be as self-sufficient as we could on our little bit of land and rabbits are a good meat source. However, we used to raise mini-rex's that were great pets for our kids. There are several advantages to rabbits ... 1. they are quiet 2. they don't eat a lot 3. their poo can be used as fertilizer without being composted 4. if pets, they are great for kids 5. they can be housed indoors or outdoors 6. if meat rabbits, they will supply your family with a reliable source of protein all year long. Good luck!

I love my rabbit I love riasing them I love every thing about them well some of them
smile.png
some of mine love to be peted and loved on but some just wont to bite you when you trye to pet them well one the rest are pritty good they are french lops, english lops and angoras thay are so sweet.
big_smile.png

I love the idea of raising rabbits to eat. I understand the meat is very tasty, and extremely lean. Also, the fact that they procreate so easily is intriguing. My only problem is, they are too darn cute for me to kill. I wish my wife could do it, but she says no lol.

Mr. Nappy :

I love the idea of raising rabbits to eat. I understand the meat is very tasty, and extremely lean. Also, the fact that they procreate so easily is intriguing. My only problem is, they are too darn cute for me to kill. I wish my wife could do it, but she says no lol.

The only rabbit that I've seen that I wouldn't be able to kill is Hotot. The things are killer!​

I just started raising my first English Angora rabbit. He is WONDERFUL. He is friendly, outgoing, and sort of the perfect mix between dog & cat. I have read females are less charming than males, but the little guy I have is so mellow that may mean very little.

We have been tossing around the idea of changing the duck pen into a meat bird pen next spring - it would be really spacious and wonderful compared to the ones I have seen at most of the local farms, even those whose management practices I respect. I plan to renovate a garden shed into an even more impressive Quack Shack/Chicken Coop. But, after bringing Herbert home & working with him for about a month, I think if we expand to raising our own meat I would raise meat rabbits.

He has grown so fast I feel like there are days he is bigger in the afternoon than he was in the morning. I am routinely astonished by how much he has grown. He also has not gone through the bag of feed I bought when we got him (a 25 LBer.), and it doesn't look like he will finish it for a few more weeks.

Angoras are probably even more work than most rabbits, and he is still the easiest pet I have. Even more so than the cat.

As for killing the rabbits... I don't know how easy that would be. I did butcher 2 roosters this spring (we had a no rooster deal), one of whom was my favorite chicken. It was not easy, but I steeled myself & did it anyway. It was easier than I expected once I started, and I feel better knowing the little guys didn't suffer, lived VERY happy lives, and that I will use almost every part of them (except the feathers) to feed my family.

Back
Top Bottom