raccon attacked my rooster

gothica254

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 27, 2015
since my rooster was attacked by a racoon last friday night he has been acting odd. he has a wound on the side of his head whick i have been carefully cleaning with some bedidine (spell?). it looks to be healing well and no signs of infection. now roy has been acting sleepy and hanging his head to the ground almost limp like. when i get his attention he perks up and looks at me through his good eye. (the other is still a little swollen) but then its like all of a sudden his head drops back down like hes sleeping. almost like narcalepsy. only recently has he started eating a bit better. (yougert, scrambled eggs, bread, and a little banana.) he wasnt eating at first so i tried about everthing till it got his attention.

now i have noticed watching him closly that his motor function seem off. when he drinks almost his whole head goes in the bowl then he jerks back and swallows. then repeats. i know he is getting water up his nose but if i dont use the bowl he cant see it well. :-( im worried about his survival because he has become more of a pet to me then intented, he is also my first chicken. i cant afford a vet nor is there any here that does chickens. i guess the question im asking is, am i letting him suffer or am i doing all that is possable in my reach at the moment. or is there more i can do for him that i am missing?

Possible infection- antibiotics could help. Feed stores sell Dutvet Duramycin.

Another possibility is that, since the wound is on the side of the head, some spinal or nerve damage.

Give him lots of rest. (dark, comfortable place to stay and sleep by himself).

Back
Top Bottom