Raccoon attack last night..

There's another characteristic of raccoon behavior to consider. They have huge territories and rarely come back to the same food source on consecutive nights. They have multiple dens and make the rounds. If they killed a chicken, it might be a week before they return. If you are getting visitors nightly, it is likely different coons each night. In their original range, riverbottoms of what is now the Southeast US, the behavior of having large territories would prevent cleaning out all the food sources in one location.

My trap sucks, I went out this morning and found the tuna can cleaned out and trap door open.
Yesterday when I set it up the door trip wouldn't work correctly and I was just hoping i'd get lucky and they'd do alot of moving around to set it. Apparently while sitting around in my garage I tossed the trap around a bit too much.

If I had the money I'd invest in a few extra traps but the decent large traps at Northern Tool are over $89.00 before tax

I noticed that my Black Giant Hen that was hatched out with the little Cochin Rooster that was killed sat near his dead body for a few hours yesterday afternoon; I hate it for her.. she's acting distraught today.
I never thought a chicken could feel loss, but after seeing her actions yesterday and still today I'm convinced they really do!

My trap sucks, I went out this morning and found the tuna can cleaned out and trap door open.
Yesterday when I set it up the door trip wouldn't work correctly and I was just hoping i'd get lucky and they'd do alot of moving around to set it. Apparently while sitting around in my garage I tossed the trap around a bit too much.

If I had the money I'd invest in a few extra traps but the decent large traps at Northern Tool are over $89.00 before tax

I noticed that my Black Giant Hen that was hatched out with the little Cochin Rooster that was killed sat near his dead body for a few hours yesterday afternoon; I hate it for her.. she's acting distraught today.
I never thought a chicken could feel loss, but after seeing her actions yesterday and still today I'm convinced they really do!
Raccons can also reach in and grab the food out of the trap. It is a box trap right? Like I said before a dog proof trap would be eaiser. Since it's also open it might me eaiser to kill. Poor chicken! Hope she get's better!

Last edited:
Well, at least you didn't train the raccoon to avoid the trap. The same thing happened to me.
Sometimes the rods just need a little tweaking.
I've seen raccoons completely avoid a trap since they were wise.
The leg trap posted above is virtually fool proof.

They really do feel loss. They make lifelong bonds and really miss their friends when they're gone.

I had a broody hatch some chick going into the dead of winter. It was going down to zero and she didn't have a good nest box in her building so I brought the week old chicks inside for almost 2 weeks. When I took the cage back outside and set it in the pen, the other chickens ignored it but the hen ran right up to the cage and acted so excited to see the babies.
I'm sure she probably thought they were dead.

I use dry cat food with fish oil in my Dukes! That works well for me.

To the OP: concentrate on predator proofing your coop at night and you won't have to worry about the night time predators. Once they realize they cannot get a meal there they will quit coming around. And you will sleep better too!!

David

Oh i'm pretty sure it's all my fault that they were even attacked .. I'm really good about closing the door usually, but that night I think i just forgot! i actually forgot they'd been let out earlier that day. the coop is almost guaranteed predator proof (just user error this time)

i'll use TUNA again tonight, since they're crazy for the smell of it and I know they'd love to have another free meal expecting to get out again without even considering it being a trap.

I'll move it further towards the back of the cage as well..

Will def. keep all of yall posted.

PS:

The Dead Raccoon carcass that I'd placed almost beside the Dead chicken was still untouched today.. but the chicken was completely gone (no trace of feathers or anything)

Back
Top Bottom