Raccoon Attack & lost will to live

RAnst4038

Songster
8 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Jacobus, Pa
3 month old Pony who sucked up popcorn like a vacuum got attacked by Raccoon. She can see out of right eye, left still shut from dried blood. It's been 6 days & all I can get in her is a mixture of water, peach juice & honey. She has just lost the will to live.
Pony Zombie.jpg

Are you sure she isn't sick? She doesn't look great at all- the eye looks swollen. For now, I would gently wash the left eye with warm saline solution to make sure it isn't infected. Press gently on the eye with a clean cloth. If it is infected with pus, I recommend feeding her a small amount of antibiotics. Feeding her plain, unflavored yogurt might be good, it'll boost her immune system, whether she has an infection or not.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
3 month old Pony who sucked up popcorn like a vacuum got attacked by Raccoon. She can see out of right eye, left still shut from dried blood. It's been 6 days & all I can get in her is a mixture of water, peach juice & honey. She has just lost the will to live.
View attachment 1456191
Making progress, I put her out & she did the (this is good) chicken chuckle & ate some grass.

Was she free-ranging when the raccoon attacked or in a run/coop? Unless you have already dispatched the offending raccoon, you will need to ensure safety from future attacks. Even if you have, I'd still perform extra security checks as there may be others. They can be quite relentless, and will come back. If you need help with trapping, speak up - I've had to trap/dispatch several raccoons myself, as have others here.

Have you looked her over for injury? I would carefully look and feel her over, parting her feathers to make sure there aren’t any hidden punctures or gashes that are getting infected. You might be able to entice her to eat live meal worms to spark her appetite. You can also weigh her and watch for weight loss. If she drops too much weight, tube feeding can be helpful. @casportpony is the resident guru on tube feeding. Good luck with your girl.

Back
Top Bottom