Raccoon Attack.

lolitalinda

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Texas
Last night my nightmares were confirmed when i was notified an animal broke into my coop and killed Penguin. She is a 3 and a half year old hen ive raised since hatching along with Rainbow. Rainbow was left in bad condition. Thank God hes alive but hes still injured. He has half his middle toe missing and he wont stop bleeding. I'm so sad that Penguin died i dont know what id do if Rainbow died too. Im no chicken expert so i need all the help i can get. Weve set up traps to catch the Raccoons (there are two). They came back again last night to get rainbow but my father heard his screams and was able to chase them off before something happened. Ive cleaned Rainbow's feet and put corn starch on it which i read stops bleeding. I also noticed his wattle is swollen. His crop is all scabbed up with remains of penguins feathers which makes me a little uneasy but ill have to clean it off sooner or later. Its about 40°F out and im not sure if that would effect his healing process. Please whatever advice you have is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Is he still alive!!!! This is TERRIBLE!!!
barnie.gif
I don't know what to do but I really hope he lives!!!!!!!!
I have had a whole flock die. It's terrible! Please update on how he is doing!!
he.gif

Im sorry to hear about your flock! At the moment Rainbow's condition remains the same. Ive been checking on him every hour and he's been in my sight all day even as i remain in the house. Ive continued to put the starch on the wound but he's still bleeding. ): I'm thinking about going to buy some kind of medical wrap so maybe the pressure will stop the bleeding.

Im sorry to hear about your flock! At the moment Rainbow's condition remains the same. Ive been checking on him every hour and he's been in my sight all day even as i remain in the house. Ive continued to put the starch on the wound but he's still bleeding. ): I'm thinking about going to buy some kind of medical wrap so maybe the pressure will stop the bleeding.
From human first aid: Apply pressure until it stops bleeding, I don't know if this would be good for chickens though. Is he eating and drinking? How much blood has he lost?
Pressure wrap will help I think!

Ive given him some food by hand and he seems to be eating just fine. When i put him on the ground he likes to wonder off but not too far. Occasionally he'll limp to my feet and just stand there. I found some cotton wrap for wounds and some medical tape. I gave him a little cast and he is walking just fine with it and isn't pecking at it at all which is a good sign i think! Ill give him a new one in about an hour.

Ive given him some food by hand and he seems to be eating just fine. When i put him on the ground he likes to wonder off but not too far. Occasionally he'll limp to my feet and just stand there. I found some cotton wrap for wounds and some medical tape. I gave him a little cast and he is walking just fine with it and isn't pecking at it at all which is a good sign i think! Ill give him a new one in about an hour.

He looks great! He might not be able to join the flock soon but he should heal up nicely if he doesn't open up the wound. Is there anymore bleeding?

I agree with you on that. It was just a little test to see how he would behave with something foreign on his foot. He is inside at the moment. Hopefully that'll give him a speedy recovery! :fl

Back
Top Bottom