Raccoon killed my entire flock (30 birds).....

jrosemoore

Songster
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Nebraska
I went out to my chicken coop this morning to feed my meat birds and young silkie chicks and white orpington chicks. I looked in the coop and ALL were dead. At least 30 of them or so. A lowely raccoon sat huddled in the corner. I assume he climbed on top of the coop and fell through, finding himself with an easy dinner and no way out afterwards. What a horrible, devastating mess.

I gathered up my kids and locked them in the house. Then proceeded to grab my shotgun(which I have never successfully killed anything with as of yet) and unloaded on the raccoon. I am still beyond livid.

Two questions for all or anyone that has experience:

1. He only bit the heads off of some of these meat birds. Since they were close to butchering, can I try and save the meat if I just remove anything his mouth might have touched?

2. Once I secure my coop with hot wire and more paneling, I will someday be in the market for chicks. Does anyone know of a website to order chickens off of that doesn't require a minimum of 25 chicks? I am still upset, I just dont know if I will recover from this :(

Thanks for the input. What a tragic mess.

I am so sorry, that is horrible.

I had trouble last year with raccoons too.

I believe there are several hatcheries that sell less than 25. Often mentioned is MyPetChicken.

Imp- sadly

Last edited:
I have had good luck with Meyer Hatcheries. They will sell as few as 3 chicks. My Pet Chicken gets much of their stock from Meyer, and often the chicks of MPC are directly shipped from the Meyer hatchery.

Yes you can salvage the bodies if you do it quickly, otherwise if you question anything, toss the bodies out.

So sorry about your loss, coons are just as bad as weasels. I lost half of my flock, numbered at 75. I was just livid!

sorry about your loss. I would check your local feed store if they have meat birds. I got mine at TSC and they seem more livelier then ones i order. Plus it was nice not to pay for the shipping.

This time of year, you can find chicks at TSC or your local Co-op - or other feed store. Meyer is good to order from, too. I'm so sorry about the raccoon getting your chicks.

OMG, I am SO sorry! I'm glad you caught the little **** and took the price of that dinner out of his hide.

Yes, if you start processing immediately the meat can be saved. So it won't be a total loss at least.

1. He only bit the heads off of some of these meat birds. Since they were close to butchering, can I try and save the meat if I just remove anything his mouth might have touched?
That's what they did to mine, little punks. they sure don't get any smarter from doing that. They always fall for that marshmallow trail right in the trap. Works every time.
Michele

So sorry to read this!

I had something lurking through a basement window last night! My chicks are in a brooder in the basement and they chirp and peck throughout the night. Right outside the door I stacked a couple 2x4 scraps just below the window on concrete. I woke up to the sound of the wood being shuffled and something banged against the glass. I ran to let the dogs out and it ran off fast. It had to be a coon trying to get to the chicks through a window. All the chicks were huddled in a corner in total silence scared sh!tless. I was so ****** I couldn't sleep. I had every outside light on the rest of the night.
My coop is almost finished and I'm doing all I can to make it predator proof. I may even sit in a lawn chair with a .22 next to a trail of marshmallows till I get the little *******!

Again, I am sorry you went through this!

Back
Top Bottom