Raccoon "Watchdog"?

ChickenBoy99

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
West michigan

One morning I looked outside and saw a raccoon trotting down the hill towards our barn. So as I went to chase it away (with a gun), I saw one of our free range guines run out of the barn doing that squaking thing they do and made the raccoon hightail it out of there. Is that normal, or is it just that guinea. (By the way the guinea hen had keets.)

In my experience its a one time deal. Guinea encounters with coons usually end up with the guinea being dinner. Give her a well done for me.

Don't know about Racoons but 1 of my guinea's ran screaming a 2 dogs that showed up here yesterday. Luckily it escaped. What the heck do they think?
th.gif

Seen it here more than once and my guineas have never been hurt, the coons just want to get away cause their cover has been blown and they know the dogs will come next.

The raccoons around here are active at night. Would the guineas alert us at night or are they blind like chickens at night?

Guineas are completely blind at night, they typically won't alert to raccoons or any other night time predator until panic sets it during an attack... and by them you've probably already lost at least one bird (if you are lucky enough to hear the commotion).

Wow, 36! You must live in the deep south? Actually, we haven't seen any lately. Neighbor got a pyrenees dog and he might have run them off. I need to find a LGD for 4-footed (and 2- footed) critters.

Back
Top Bottom