Raccoons and traps

If you don't want to kill it, you shouldn't trap it in the first place. I live in the country. I don't want city people bringing their trap-wise raccoons out here to "relocate" because they can't kill the poor, cute little thing. Maybe I should start live trapping my nuisance animals and relocate them to the city. After all, they will be well fed - people leave dog and cat food outside all the time, there are garbage cans galore for them to get into, backyard chickens for them to eat, and tasty seeds under bird feeders. There is also water available and trees for them to live in. Yep, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea... Never mind the fact that I could be spreading rabies or distemper into an area that may not have a problem with it already. I only have the raccoons' best interest in mind.

Well, something to think about. We live in the unincorporated area of the county but animal control doesn't take care of raccoons, trapped or otherwise. They tell us to hire a service. That's part of the problem. The services I've talked to charge $199 to rent the trap for a month and $59 for each and any raccoon that they catch. There is no guarantee that they will catch the raccoon. If they catch anything else in the trap we will be charged a discounted price. If we catch the neighbor's cat, we will be charged for them to release it.

You're right about protecting the children. We've done a lot to keep our chickens safe and healthy. I've talked to the neighbors because the raccoon appears to be living under their shed and they have small children. They didn't seem too concerned even though the kids sit on the steps going into the shed to play.

Thanks for the ideas. I've read that their feces should be treated like hazardous waste because of the parasites that may live in it.

You could buy your own live trap for much less than $199, trap the coon and find a friend, relative or acquaintance with a gun. Take the coon out to the country and shoot it. Or, if you're unincorporated, you could probably shoot the thing without taking it for a drive.

Geoff40 wrote about the struggle that takes place when an animal like a raccoon is re-located. I decided to read more on the subject after Geoff40 enlightened me. As it turns out there is usually an often violent struggle when the new coon is confronted by the coon that already has this territory claimed.

The fights usually cause injury to the point where one coon quits. If the resident coon loses, his baby-coon sons and daughters are usually killed by the new guy. Whichever coon loses, he must now move on. Usually, to another place where there is another resident coon and, the whole ordeal starts over again. Most times one or several coons are injured, emaciated or dead!

The scenario is a little different with female raccoons but, the end results are very similar.

Now, those folks who cannot bring themselves to kill a sweet-n-cuddly coonie-poonie, are causing much more pain and suffering to the animals! And, bringing carnage upon many more animals.

The previous posts did a great job covering the possible results to the people who live in the area where you might drop of a raccoon.

Letarae, this is not meant to accuse or to rebuke you personally. I know you were prepared to allow the pellet gun to do the job. I have a Gamo pellet gun that will KILL a raccoon easily and humanely. It most certainly is "a long term solution". At least for that coon. It is not expensive at all.

Coil spring traps, DP traps, guns and electric wire are all great strategies. Again, cage traps do a poor job for me. Building good strong coops and runs is always a good idea.

Because of the furor over the Harp seal harvest, research has proven that clubbing is one of the MOST HUMANE methods of dispatching an animal. Hit it hard enough and he will die instantly and painlessly.

Last edited:
So, I'm wondering if a pellet gun is a good idea. Also, with the live trap, we don't really want to kill the raccoon but we would prefer to relocate it. If we bonk it on the head with a baseball bat, would that just knock it out. Is there any safe way to pick up the trap? I'm looking at YouTube later today.

We didn't have any problems last night.. We put up red LED lights on the fence and chicken house. We also soaked rags in regular ammonia and also sprayed white vinegar around the chicken yard. Tonight I'm buying battery powered motion detector light.
When i bonk one in the head with a bat or Axe i intend to knock it out permanently.

My sister in Florida was having an awful problem with something getting her hens...She had an electric fence and was starting to think someone was stealing them and I still think she was spot on as tail feathers were always pulled and found on the ground...no blood, not parts...just tail feathers....She placed a motion light and baby monitor in the coop....now she can hear any commotion and I pity the fool who stole her chickens if they come back...she can shoot near good as me. She loves her birds and it broke her heart to the point of making her sick....she lost 10 buff Orpingtons in one night...even her favorite Rooster.

On relocating a coon....keep in mind...you could be relocating rabies. Always wear gloves when handling even a dead animal like a coon, skunk etc. Wash your hands very well after words.

Back
Top Bottom