Rain and chickens... what do your girls (and guys) think?

Plucky Pullet

Songster
9 Years
Aug 18, 2010
So I live out here in the pacific northwest and as most people know it rains... A Lot... IN fact it is raining right now. So since I am home I am going about my normal daily routine and have opened the coop up so they can free range. Well my girls are outside grazing away as though it is a beautiful dry sunny day, OK there is the odd feather shake here and there but my girls really don't seem fazed by the rain. I would maybe even go as far to say that they like it?

What do your chickies think about the rain? And is it ok to let them out in the rain (yes they have shelter spots to get out of the rain)?

Yeah mud baths are out of the question for my 2 Cochin girls but Speckles my BR is game for anything and is eyeing up a dirt patch in the garden.

I imagine it is ok for them to get wet, I'm sure they would put themselves away if they really didn't like it.

My Boston Terrorist on the other hand went charging for the door this morning to go outside, realized it was raining and put the brakes on so fast he nearly somersaulted into the door. Needless to say I had to physically throw him out the door.

Good scratching weather. Worms come near to the ground surface.

ETA - Agree that mine go under cover when it starts raining hard. They just wait it out then.

Last edited:
Mine are little princesses and princes lol. They refuse to go out in the rain, walk around like their feet are on fire when they hit wet anything. My roosters refuse to leave their night pens (inside the garage) when it's raining. They'd rather stay inside under the heat lamps. I suppose I've probably done this to them by babying them their entire lives....
roll.png

Just two days ago I put up a tarp (affectionately called the "circus tent") to cover half the run because all of them were trying to fit under the patio I had my husband build for them when we put up the coop 2 years ago. It looks like one you would have off your house it's so nice!

Yep, spoiled PNW chickens here.

Quote:
Ahh yes! Whenever I let my chickens free range they are all over the yard ripping up worms! They are having a hay day, they are so happy!!!
big_smile.png

My chickens don't seem to mind the rain at all. My Silkie though usually stays undercover, doesn't want to get his pretty fur all wet!
smile.png

after day 3 of rain and the option to free range my Cochin girls (envious of speckles getting all the good stuff) finally ventured out. They LOVED it, their feathery pantiloon were soaked and I could actually see their feet but come bedtime they did NOT want to go in.

Back
Top Bottom