Rain barrel nipple waterer.

RorySeiter

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
Seattle, WA
Almost finished the rain barrel to nipple watering system. We just need the right sized drill bit to make hole in the PVC. Off to Home Depot for that and sand! Sand seems to be many people's favorite thing! There are more pictures here.

Okay. I love this idea. I had been planning to get some rain barrels and gutters for our barn shed so I could water calves from the rainwater and not have to lug it up the hill. This saves having to go in and do anything, really. haha. Awesome.

That is the plan, do as little work as possible. We were trying to be as cheap as possible, so we got some old used buckets to use as rain barrels. The buckets had some cracks that we didn't notice until we added water, but it all seems to work now... Let me know if you need any more info.

I think I must be using the wrong stuff cause I put in new coop and after a couple rain it's hard as a brick or dirt road? What am I doing or not doing right?

After I pick up the poop with a cat litter scoop I have a stiff metal rake to fluff it all up and to fill in dusting holes, but my run is covered completely and doesn't get wet at all.

Almost finished the rain barrel to nipple watering system. We just need the right sized drill bit to make hole in the PVC. Off to Home Depot for that and sand! Sand seems to be many people's favorite thing! There are more pictures here.

Do you have any filtering / screen stage for water before it going on to hens drinking ? debris may clog up some step of the way ? Looks great - plan to do something similar. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom