Raised Coop - sketchup designing - bedding and predator protection

SteveE

Songster
May 2, 2020
Central PA
Can you make any suggestions to improve on this?
=================================
DESIGN GOAL .... 1st design attempt... small urban yard....variable climate...central Pennsylvania.... goal is 10-12 hens. The coop will be about 5x7 inside though this isn't locked in yet. I decided on raised coop with a predator proof space underneath, where chickens will have 24/7 access (at least when I am away overnight) They will have access to adjacent daytime run when I am home. I decided to spend more on materials so it can survive getting pushed around and moved when necessary. For the same reason, I'm building the base and coop so they are separate units.

DRAINAGE.,... So here is a partial drawing for the base so far. I'll build with treated lumber; The yard slopes. The long side in back will be uphill. The downhill side will have a small retaining wall, and I'll almost level the ground behind the wall. I will dig a shallow french drain in this leveled bed and set the base right on top of the gravel filled trenches. The dirt will come up to the bottom of the wire screen shown in the pic. Q1 what do you think in general?

PREDATOR PROOFING .... In this pic the white frames in the floor are just to hold the floor screens in place. On the sides, the edges will be covered with furring strips. Each "bay" across the front will be a door or removeable panel for easy access. Q2 For predator screening, what is both affordable and durable and adequate protection for contact with treated wood, dirt, and deep litter composting? Q2b With this approach, do you think I can skip burying screening around the perimeter?

BEDDING - Total depth of the bottom is 8"; plan for the entire run (including day time extension not shown) is deep litter . Thinking of putting a mix with mostly wood chips right on top of the screen. Q3 What do you think of that plan in general? Q4 is there any particular kind or grade or whatever for recommended treated lumber. Goal is longevity as well as food safety. Compost will go on veggie garden.

Thanks for help

HenCave.PNG

Last edited:
I think this sounds great! Our coop is on a cement slab. We have hardware cloth at the top for ventilation and use hay for bedding. We manually let them out and in everyday but I've been reading about solar panel doors that open and close automatically.

goal is 10-12 hens. The coop will be about 5x7
Go bigger....or fewer birds.
Chicken Cabin Fever is real and it's ugly.

How will they get to area underneath(which really isn't big enough either.)?

Deep litter and moving coop(not to mention a sloped site) don't really go together.

Thanks, it'll be an experiment to find the balance, for sure. I know some folks get attached and treat the birds like family. I often sit with them and sometimes talk to them but for all that I still think of them as "future dinner".

There will be an attached run. I haven't started toying with drawing it while I think through options for the popdoor. I may do another pic later.

The sloped hill is a pain, but the house is worse. We're looking at lots of dirt work for foundation repairs anyway, so making a level foot print for the chick hostel is just one more reason to push dirt and RR ties around and if we do it more than once that sucks but isn't really a big deal. It will be nice to be done with all that and finish off the landscape for real and start doing some real gardening though!

Back
Top Bottom