Raising a visually impaired (possibly blind) chick [Pic Heavy]

Thanks, MESOFRUFFEH!
Yes, it was an eye infection, or at lest that's what the vet thinks. We ended up taking her to the vet, and he said that she probably ISN'T blind, and just has an infection. And after a day of eye drops, she seems to be seeing well, and is eating out of the feeder, and drinking!
yesss.gif
We are continuing the eye drops for her, and I'm cleaning her eyes with warm water and saline. She seems to be well on the road to recovery! SOOOOO relived!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Thank you! We have named ours Helen. We haven't separated her yet because when we do try to she peeps SO LOUDLY until we put her back with the others. The other will give her a peck or two, but then all is well. Fingers crossed she pulls through!

Thank you! We have named ours Helen. We haven't separated her yet because when we do try to she peeps SO LOUDLY until we put her back with the others. The other will give her a peck or two, but then all is well. Fingers crossed she pulls through!

What do her eyes look like, GreenWillow?

Our chick (Ethel) did the same, not responding when something was right next to her eye. Poor baby! I was just wondering if it might be an infection, but since you said her eyes appear normal it probably isn't.

Keep us updated!

It has been a few months since I updated this. I would like to report that Tillie is still doing fantastic! She can and will find the highest roost possible, no idea how, and even occasionally free ranges with the other girls when I am around to supervise. But she is usually stuck up my backside instead of out running around lol! I have seen her eat grass recently, which I have never seen her do before. She can only eat and drink out of pans of food and water. Otherwise she cannot find it. I have not been successful in teaching her to drink from a poultry nipple. I think it is just too small of a target for her. She does get to enjoy scraps finally, took us a while to grasp that you can eat something other than crumbles lol, so long as they are in a bowl she can find them, and she loves sitting on my shoulder.

Getting Tillie thru her first few weeks of life was rather taxing, I was so worried she was not going to make it. I had no idea what to do. No idea if she would make it. She was nothing but skin and bones for the longest time. But she made it and is one of the sweetest, funniest, and most loving birds I have ever had! I know a lot of people would have the opinion to cull, but I am glad I did not. We have really formed a bond. She always responds to my voice and her name and loves cuddles. Love her!

Back
Top Bottom