Raising and training a Livestock Guardian dog

Oh my...that is heart wrenching. I am so sorry.

In time, it will get better. I know it does not seem like it now, but it will.....

I'm sure it will. Right now it is like a fresh wound because it just happened.We are looking for a puppy or adolescent Pyrenees or Pyr/Anatolian mix to focus on something other than his death.
(Also because we need another LGD) There is no dog that will ever replace him, but hopefully they will have some of his qualities.

I'm sure it will. Right now it is like a fresh wound because it just happened.We are looking for a puppy or adolescent Pyrenees or Pyr/Anatolian mix to focus on something other than his death.
(Also because we need another LGD) There is no dog that will ever replace him, but hopefully they will have some of his qualities.
So sorry for you loss, made me tear up reading your post, hope you find another one that is close to his personality. We just bought our first GP she is now 9 weeks old now.

I am so glad that I found this thread, we just recently bought our GP puppy she is now nine weeks old, got her a week ago. The farmer we got her from had never interacted except to feed and water so she was a mess when we got her. the first thing we had to do was pick all the burs off her and then give her a bath, poor thing she was so scared. After giving her a bath we just let her sit with us and she was pretty shy, put her first collar on her and she did pretty good didn't fuss or anything which was great, she actually did good with the leash also, it was kinda amazing. The next day we dicovered she was full of fleas so had to bathe her with flea soap then I looked in her ears and they were really dirty so got the Q tips out cleaned them up and found ticks in her ears poor little thing. She had never had any shots so went to the feed store got her shots and I waited a couple of days before I gave them to her because she had been put though so much already. Gave her her first shots and put flea medicine on her she was such a good girl went through it with flying colors. I can say she can be stubborn when she wants to be though. I gave her a piece of rope to play with and I went to reach for it and she started to growl and snaped at me and it wasn't just a little growl kinda scared me at first wasn't expecting it, she had been so good. I told her no with a gruff voice. I went to take it away and she did it again so popped her and said no. I haven't give it back to her wasn't quit sure what to do about that. What are you suppose to do about a toy do you give them one or not ? The reason I gave her somthing is because she was trying to chew on the rug and on the cord to the puter so thought I would give her something to chew on. We don't want the grandkids to be over and have her do that with them. My HB, DD and myself are the only ones she has been around so far so can't wait till the grandkids come over to see her, just hope it all goes well.

I have a lgd gp as mix. He is 6 months old now and
we have had him around the chickens since we got him. 12 weeks. I first put them together with the baby chicks in a large dog crate inside the house it was winter the crate allowed them to see each other and no one would get hurt. Since then we have moved them to their outside pen where the free range all day we have 15 acres where everything can roam everyone mostly stays close to the house we have even had the turkeys yell at the door to come in. our lgd watches over the birds and any sign of intruders he immediately gets up starts to bark in the direction of the noise and then goes and checks on every bird I swear he counts them. At night if they have not all come back he runs into the woods and finds them all and herds them to the pen. Its amazing we never really taught him that. He does not stop until they are all locked up for the night. We did get a shock collar for him because he does have a mind of his own and when he is on a scent he does not listen. he only needed it for a week and now we do not even have to put the collar on just hit the whistle button on the remote for the collar he stops whatever he is doing and comes right back.

I don't know where you are, but I have two litters of Pyrenees coming in about a month. We have six of them. Then we also have a Pyrenees/Anatolian cross. Sorry to hear about your dog.

That is awesome!  What collar are you using?  I have been wanting to invest in some myself.  We love our dogs!  They are great! We bought a $20 one off eBay. Not sure if it was gonna work or not so we did not want to pay a lot it has a whistle feature a vibrate feature and shock. We never had to use the shock we trained him with the whistle and if he didn't listen we used the vibrate and he would come now like I said he just stops with whistle if the chickens are in the garden we can tell him to bring em and he does but he will try to put them into the pen one whistle he stops and goes back to guarding I will try to find the link

Quote: We live in California in Lake Hughes. When are your puppies due? We miss our boy so much! I still have a hard time believing he is gone. Still cry about losing him sometimes. He was one of those "once in a lifetime" dogs.

When our duck "Lucky" lost his mate, his new best friend became our dog Bumble. Poor Bumble is so sweet, he tolerates Lucky's affections very well. We really need to get Lucky a new feathered "friend!":p

Back
Top Bottom