Raising Baby Geese

Katechicklady2000

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2024
Hello, I have 3 day old goslings that hatched last night. They aren't the greatest at walking around yet. They are just scuffing along the brooder. None are deformed or anything. How long does it take them to get up and going? I'm new to day olds and want them to do well. What can I do to help?

Hello and congratulations on your new goslings! I haven't had goslings as young as yours (mine were at least a few days old) but they were very wobbly for a few days before they gained stability. What are you feeding them? You could try putting electrolytes in their water as well.

Hello and congratulations on your new goslings! I haven't had goslings as young as yours (mine were at least a few days old) but they were very wobbly for a few days before they gained stability. What are you feeding them? You could try putting electrolytes in their water as well.
Thank you! It was a very exciting day lol first time we ever hatched anything. Thats good to know! I have only had day old meat king chicks and they so so so different lol We are feeding them duck starter.
What would you use for electrolytes?

You can get these at Tractor Supply (I copied the picture from their website); I haven't used this particular brand but I'm sure it's as good as any other :). Duck starter is fine.
1713471519891.png

Congrats on your goslings! What breed do you have? One of my Sebastopols just hatched my first two for the season. Like Evadig said, they are a little wobbly at first. Electrolyte will give them a good boost. I just let mine out after a week to graze with their parents. They're good at keeping up with them now.

What is the protein content of your duck starter? I raise my waterfowl on 18% unmedicated chick starter complimented with forage/grazing. Higher protein levels may make the wings split (angel wing) when they start to feather so if the protein level in your feed is higher, I'd switch to a lower percentage when they hit 3-4 weeks old. :)

Back
Top Bottom