Raising Barred rock/Plymouth rock chicks

Chickymama0505

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
Maryland, USA
Hey,
Anyone have any experience with barred rock chicks? I already have a RIR and Easter eggers. I just got for this season two barred rocks, and noticed they are a little more shy than the other girls, I am ok with that, just wanted to see if anyone else’s is like that too. I can’t get them to eat from my hand really, or to try anything food wise besides their chicken food. Any tips given would be much appreciated !

Hi! I love Barred Rocks! I have had many in the past and have lots of experience. The Barred Rocks will be timid for their first few months, unless you get a special girl, but as they mature, they will become very friendly. My most recent hens were not as kind as my other hens in the past, but my rooster was a cuddle baby! Sadly, I lost all of my barred rocks from a recent attack. Lucky I have two of my rooster's daughters left! Both have received his sweet, cuddly behavior. I am getting three more Barred Rocks on May 1st! Such a long wait!

Hi! I love Barred Rocks! I have had many in the past and have lots of experience. The Barred Rocks will be timid for their first few months, unless you get a special girl, but as they mature, they will become very friendly. My most recent hens were not as kind as my other hens in the past, but my rooster was a cuddle baby! Sadly, I lost all of my barred rocks from a recent attack. Lucky I have two of my rooster's daughters left! Both have received his sweet, cuddly behavior. I am getting three more Barred Rocks on May 1st! Such a long wait!
Awesome! Thanks!!!. Yes, they seem very sweet, but both are shy. If I pick one up the other gets upset lol. I’m trying to hold them as much as I’m able too, so they get used to me.

Hey,
Anyone have any experience with barred rock chicks? I already have a RIR and Easter eggers. I just got for this season two barred rocks, and noticed they are a little more shy than the other girls, I am ok with that, just wanted to see if anyone else’s is like that too. I can’t get them to eat from my hand really, or to try anything food wise besides their chicken food. Any tips given would be much appreciated !

Do you have any photos you would like to share?:)
How old are they?
Where did they come from?

What is your goal - are you wanting pets? BR can be friendly, some downright cuddly, but you may find that they become independent and bold. Just like any other breed, each one has their own personality. Some chicks do not like to be handled much. Be patient, go slow and don't force yourself upon them.
How are you keeping them - are you having to lean over their brooder? If that is happening, try sitting down and just talking to them. Being more on their level helps a lot. Hands reaching for them can freak some chicks out. Lay your hand on the floor and let them come to you and explore it.

I have some BR that just love to be cuddled, while others are quite independent and bold. Different personalities for sure, but I let each one decide what type of interaction they want to have with me.

My Bared rock girl was pretty shy to when I first got her. She tolerated being held and sometimes was okay with me letting her, but she wasn’t anywhere near as outgoing as my Easter egger was. Now she’s 4 years old and is a very good hen, leader of the group, and isn’t shy at all. My daughter walks up to her all the time and even picks her up! She doesn’t like to be held for along time though, only for a couple minutes!

Back
Top Bottom