Raising birds for auction. What breeds?

Party_Chicken

Crowing
Feb 1, 2023
Anywhere with chickens
My Coop
My Coop
I have decided that every year I will raise chickens for my county fairs charity poultry auction. This year I am doing buff orpingtons and possibly my BSL rooster we will see if he gets his act together. I want to select the best breeds that are not an outrageous price but are high in demand. I want good temperament in the breed but not too friendly because I will get to attached. Some breeds I am thinking of are Speckled Sussex, Splash marans, and Wyandottes. What are some breeds you have had luck with and thanks in advance!

It all just depends on what sells in your area. Breeding the Sexlink male is just going to make mutts
He is loud and aggressive towards me but he is incredibly protective of his hens and fertilizes every egg. I am not looking to breed him he isn't the right fit for my flock. I want to give him away but i'm scared he is going to end up as soup.

I see. I thought you meant you would be using a buff orpington male and possibly the bsl male for fertilized eggs to hatch.

Unfortunately if he's aggressive and someone buys him, he'd likely be processed because of his aggression. Most people don't tolerate mean males

Why don’t you sell something that would be useful for 4-Hers to show at the fair? Find a breeder that breeds to the Standard of Perfection and buy some quality stock, hatch and select them so the kids have something great to start with.
If there are breeders of Speckled Sussex, Wyandottes, or black copper, wheaten, white, or black Marans, those would be great choices. Generally show stock isn’t too expensive.

Back
Top Bottom