Pics

Blooie

Team Spina Bifida
9 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Northwestern Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
I talk so much on other threads about my granddaughters, sisters Katie and Kendra, and have had such positive interaction with other people that I thought I'd move it over to here. It's way too easy to hijack a thread talking about our amazing little people and I'm guiltier than most - I think because the girls live across the street, I see them daily, and am very involved in their lives.

8 (almost 9) year old Katie has mild, high functioning autism. Not that you'd know it when you spend time with her. Her social skills are a little behind, she has trouble with Hyperaccusis, making eye contact consistently, and has spacial issues...she's not always sure where her body is in space and it doesn't help that she was born missing a rib and with asymetrical hips. But she is a joy. She has been in dance class since she was three years old (she looked just exactly like Tinkerbell when she was that age) and it's been so good for her. We live in a community of just over 600 people so everyone knows her, the other kids love her, and she's just like everyone else. She hasn't had any meltdowns in so long I can't even remember the last one!

Kendra just turned 3 and she was born with Spina Bifida. She was fitted for her first wheelchair at the ripe old age of 9 months old and by a year old we were sometimes running to keep up - all the while trying to protect our toes in case she turned suddenly. She's not talking yet - she has lots of seizures and so there's a constant interruption in the flow of information which delays learning some things. Imagine that someone put a quarter on a countertop in a kitchen you'd never seen before, and asked you to pick up that quarter. Then they hit the light switch and flipped it on and off as fast as they could. You'd have trouble finding the countertop, let alone the quarter, because every time you tried to focus the information going to your brain changed. Eventually you'd get it, but it would take far longer than if you could just walk right over and grab the coin. That's Kendra's life. She has hydrocephalus but thus far hasn't needed shunts. She is absolutely adorable with long, curly dark hair and big blue eyes. This baby, who was supposed to be wheelchair bound for her life, is now pulling herself up to stand and take a few steps, and even climbed up on the couch by herself yesterday. She also takes a few steps holding our hands, saying, "Walk, walk" over and over again with every step.

Katie and my grandson Evan, who lives two blocks down with his mom, are my chicken sitters when Ken and I are out of town, and we have to do that a lot with Ken's activities. They do a fabulous job - they have their "coop shoes", they check for eggs on the way to school, and after school they come over and clean the poop deck, gather the rest of the eggs, check food and water and replenish if needed, and make sure everything is locked up. They are amazing. Katie does more chicken sitting than Evan - he can take the chickens or leave them although he never slacks in the area of their care. Katie, on the other hand, loves all things chickens. She knows them all by name and even has her own chicken, Agatha, an Easter Egger who recently went broody and hatched just one chick. She wrote a children's brochure - a tri-fold, no less - about chickens and it's wonderful

Kendra doesn't spend a lot of time with the chickens, although she loved seeing them when they were chicks and still living in the brooder in the house. We have the issues of her being heavy to carry everywhere and chicken poop in the yard isn't conducive to a happy wheelchair experience.....babies' chairs don't have the metal outer hand wheel for pushing the chair, she has to use the tires. 'Nuff said? We've tried little gloves so her hands don't get gross, but she won't leave them on and she can't understand explanations as to why she should use them yet.

So what's your story? If you have a special needs little one in your life, are they interested in the chickens? Can they help with any of the chores, or even just give a radiant smile when they see a new chick? Have you come up with a clever way to make the coop and/or run accessible for them? I'd love it if you'd join us here for sharing ideas, stories, triumphs and setbacks. Maybe you are trying to enjoy raising chickens and have found a way to cope with allergies...any little thing might help someone else.

The usual BYC admonitions apply...if you can't say something nicely, we'd prefer you not say it. We go through enough taking care of these special little people and don't need anyone questioning why we let them be born, (Yes, we hear that!) or that we aren't doing all we can for our kids.

caf.gif
Can't wait to get the conversation rolling!

Sit down.....no, seriously - SIT DOWN!

Kendra could be discharged today!! I'm not kidding! The surgeon, the urologist and the urology nurses were in this morning and said that Kendra is so far ahead of the recovery curve that there is no point in her being stuck in the hospital over the weekend. The pain pump/sponge thingies are disconnected, her IV is still in her foot but no longer running fluids, she's taking all her meds orally, and they were able to remove one of her urinary catheters - the Foley. The Mitrofanoff catheter is still in place but that stays in for the next 3-4 weeks. Since the kids are staying in hotel close to the hospital the staff said that if Kendra continues to tolerate her oral meds, can stay hydrated on her own, and continues to be as animated and happy as she is keeping her there was pointless - they said hospitals are for sick kids!! Woo hooooo!!

In the meantime they sprung her from her room and let the kids take her down to the cafeteria for breakfast with Mommy and Daddy. That was a huge hit for all of them. I can't believe this is happening so fast!!

The Power of Prayer - and one little girl with an abundance of grit and determination!! God forgot to tell her she's disabled, and by golly we ain't gonna tell her either!!

A good morning kiss from Daddy makes everything better....

She kept playing with the call thing, and the nurses knew that she can't rationalize "I need this" and then ring for them. But if a bell goes off, they need to answer it. Solution? They went into an empty room and brought her a disconnected one. She was happy, they were happy, and the working one was hanging off the side of the bed if Jenny needed to use it.

Down in the cafeteria with Mom and Dad!

If my heart gets any fuller it's gonna bust wide open!!

We had a blast with Kendra a few days ago. She and I had been practicing this for some time, but it was the first time her physical therapist had seen her do this. Between school resuming, Ken and I being out of town, and Miss Cindi's schedule we hadn't hooked up for a session in a while. But Kendra and I faithfully practiced every day, and it paid off wonderfully.

Miss Cindi was over for a therapy session and I suggested we take Kendra's walker outside where there was more room. I was just hoping that Kendra would cooperate. She did! Of course I forgot the camera and had to run in and get it so I missed getting Cindi's initial reaction, but by the time I got back from getting it she'd taken over and, true professional that she is, she just continued right where we had been when I ran into the house. Kendra is the first and only child with Spina Bifida who Miss Cindi has ever worked with and she is awesome - following our lead and respecting our instincts when that's appropriate and inventing methods when none of us are sure what to do next. She has no problem saying, "I'm not sure how we're going to do this - let me do some research and some inventing and see what we can come up with to get it done." But the most important thing about her is that she loves Kendra as much as we do.

We were encouraging Kendra to stomp in the water puddles on the sidewalk. She didn't stomp herself but seemed to get a kick out of me doing it. So enjoy Kendra's first time walking outside - well, aside from the jaunt from the car into the school - and please note Kendra's giant smile! I could watch this over and over again!

0.jpg

Hi everyone! New to the BYC forums, but during my introduction Blooie suggested I come visit this thread. So, here I am! (quick intro version as to why I'm in BYC in the first place: been a chicken mama before but not in a long time, just got a few babies this week!)

Deep breath.

As I said in my intro if some of you didn't read it, it was Blooie's article that really drew me into the forum and becoming a member. I've been a lurker before. I didn't really expect to find a thread here specifically for "us" though! I don't have a support group or anything like that, in fact I have very little support in general, so I'm kind of feeling emotional posting in here. Is it possible, THIS is going to be where I find what I've been missing out on?

Another deep breath. Here comes the first time I've ever WRITTEN down our story.

I have 3 kids. My son is almost 20 and moved out of the house now. The next in line is my mini-me, Steph, who is 11 and amazing. The reason I'm in this thread is my beautiful Katie. Ahem, we also call her Katie-bug ;) Or KK (or Katherine when I'm really mad LOL). Katie is going to be 9 in May. She was different from my other two from the day she was born, something was just "off". As a baby, she was super laid back when left alone. She couldn't stand being cuddled when cranky. She would always freak out like she was falling when being carried down stairs. There were tons of little "things" that I couldn't put my thumb on, like the fact that she liked my sister! Ha ha! My sister still says to this day that Kate's her favorite because she's the only kid that wouldn't immediately start crying when she'd hold her!

When Kate was about to turn two, I started doing a ton of research and was pretty sure she fell somewhere on the Autism Spectrum. I had early intervention come in and evaluate her. They seemed to think she was "fine" and would "catch up quickly". Family was furious with me for thinking there was "something wrong" with their precious Katie. A victory for them when I was "proven wrong". But, I didn't give up and I didn't believe that they were right.

I taught Katie some baby sign language (yay internet!), and that helped TREMENDOUSLY with some of the obvious communication issues we were having. It was as if she couldn't understand ME, not just me not understanding her. Once that barrier was brought down, she started learning and using words very quickly. She went from speaking a handful of words, to signing, and then straight to using 4 word sentences! Of course this just proved to the naysayers how wrong I was, because she didn't just catch up, but surpassed what she should be doing at her age. Fast forward a few years, and it was time for Pre-K. I went into panic mode, because there were so many things still not right. I had been doing my research for nearly two years. So this time, I went to my doctor first and explained that we NEEDED a diagnosis. He sent us to a clinical psychologist who finally gave us one (and yeah, I took a lot of heat for making that appointment). PDD-NOS. THEN I called the school to set up a Pre-K screening, with my psychologist's recommendation in hand. They couldn't very well ignore the needs then. Family still wasn't on board. "The intervention is great, she probably won't need any of it though after she gets used to leaving you and going to school." SIGH

So, fast forward a few years... she was doing great and had a fantastic teacher, in room aide, speech therapist, occupational therapist, and physical therapist (the naysayers calmed down with their harping on me after three years of the school providing all this, and the fact that none of them could really "get through" to her, or "deal" with her "issues"). Then, they closed our school.

Second grade: for the first time she had to ride a bus, had a new aide that was sweet but useless, a new speech therapist with zero patience, no physical therapist, and only saw the occupational therapist once per month. The new principal didn't know the first thing about kids with Autism, and even switched her to a different teacher's classroom the first week. A common core lover. I should mention, I'm in NY State and the curriculum our state is using is horrendous. She tumbled down hill so fast, it was everything I could do not to start yelling at people in the school. I had so many meetings there, offered so many suggestions to everyone on her team, and DID raise a stink about how they were NOT actually following her IEP. They'd say they thought she was doing well and making progress, and I lost it a little at that meeting. Progress is NOT being behind where she was at he beginning of the previous year behaviorally. I started looking into options and 3/4 way through the school year I had reached my last straw when I received two notes home (one from the aide and one from the speech therapist) asking me what the "best candy" was that they could use to "bribe" her into participating in Speech and Math. She shouldn't have needed any bribing at that point, and they should have known her well enough to know her favorite candy anyway! She never went back to school, and we began our homeschool journey.

I've since been approached quietly by a few of the teachers she had in the school that was closed (who still work in the district), and praised for the decisions I made. Walking into that school was like visiting family. Everyone knew her and loved her, even the teachers that were standing bus duty that I didn't know knew her and loved her. I hate what's happening to the public school system in NY state. It's bad.

She's doing AMAZING now. ALL of the behavior issues from last year are gone, and she's made progress beyond where she was the previous year. She's so far ahead behavior-wise! She was having meltdowns in math daily until the lesson was over. That does not work at home! So, I've managed to teach everything she SHOULD have learned last year, and we're moving along really well. I don't bother with the therapists. OT was not supposed to be anything more than a consult at this point, which is worthless to me. Speech became the thing she hated most in the world. She actually adores language. She reads, spells, and uses vocabulary at or above her older sister's level. She corrects people when they don't say words correctly. She KNOWS she's not pronouncing words correctly, and speech therapy seemed to be doing nothing more than pointing that out to her, making her more self conscious and scared to speak to people. I actually think the speech might just come on it's own, but maybe we'll work with a therapist down the road. All in all, I just wish I had started this sooner. The biggest issue I'm having now is the fact that her sister wants to be homeschooled too. She's becoming a C student in math, when she used to be all straight A's. It's the curriculum, but as you may guess, the "supportive family" doesn't think that's a good idea. Sigh... we'll see...

Chickens! I think this will help a LOT with empathy, as well as responsibility. She's so smart that she's tricked many people into thinking she's having a "shutdown" when really she's just using the behavior to get out of doing something she doesn't feel like doing. Alas, she believes that she talked me into the chickens, so they are "her pets" so she HAS to take care of them. Her thinking! Also, Spring has ALWAYS been a major issue for her. I'm already noticing some stimming behavior that I hadn't seen in a long while. She's a "crasher" and a mover. She requires activity, yet has a lot of difficulty switching from the extreme seasonal change of Winter to Spring and all it brings with it (mud, flowers, bugs, swing sets, birds, more vehicles around, etc). I think it will help a lot to force her into a schedule of doing something for someone else, not just the schoolwork or cleaning up after one's self chores I assign her. Plus, it will no doubt create some appropriate stimulation that she can count on regularly, from moving around and getting outdoors, to soft fluffy feathers.

The only issue I've had so far with our baby chicks is trying to keep her from rubbing her lips on the soft chick down, and ensuring those hands get washed after every petting. She often gets too rough with the dogs and babies, so I keep a close eye, and so far she has been ultra gentle with the chicks. A lot of self control is being learned here too!

OK - so that's my long version of a much longer story. I'm not good at short stories!
barnie.gif
Thank you for having a place where I can put all that, and I SWEAR my next post will be shorter!
wink.png

"The more people knowing and praying the better". This ! We all can call for help and offer support. This is a great community.
Amen!

Yesterday's FaceTime photos of Kendra: I don't know how most 4 years old look 72 hours after major abdominal surgery, but this is what ours looks like!

@FridayYet I remembered to ask Jenny about capping off the catheter. She said they gave her a schedule for that....start with an hour, then work up.

Silly Kendra

Serious Kendra

"Woe is me......"

"Yo - you talkin' to me?"

As long as she has her hat, everything is good!

Just plain cute!

"I said "NO!"

She is doing so well!!

Look what the school put up for Kendra this week - her own disabled parking spot and a special swing for kids with disabilities! She couldn't care less about the parking spot but she sure loves the swing!

Welcome to BYC and the wonderful world of chickens! If your son is like our granddaughter, he will want to do things in a specific order when he gets a little bigger.

She sits down on the deck and changes into her coop shoes, then grabs her basket and heads out. She likes to check the all of the chickens first thing, looking for limps or lethargy or anything like that. Then step two is making sure the feeder is full. Immediately after that she lifts the lid on the water bucket. If the level is even with the middle of the label on the bucket, it's time to dump it and add fresh. The very next step is cleaning the poop board. She starts at the left side and works her way down. Then she sets her tools down and checks the nests for eggs - again, same order, same nest first, every time. She very carefully locks the coop behind her. Her next step in the routine is to put her egg basket on the deck steps, sit next to it to change out of her coop shoes, then she brings the eggs into the house and puts them in cartons and into the fridge. Lastly her hands get washed. But you know what? She can be trusted completely to take care of the chickens when I'm gone and I know she enjoys it because it's structured, and she likes that. And it took her no time at all to learn it all - she doesn't even think about it now. She sure enjoys watching them. She likes to come over and sit in a lawn chair, visiting with Grampa and me while the chickens are out foraging.

I would suggest finding a job he can do - any little job even if it's carrying an egg basket out to the coop for you when you go out. Ask him to find the "yellow chicken", then the brown ones, etc. Show him which is which. He'll start observing them without even realizing it. Your kids sound very lucky to have a mom/aunt who "gets it" and wants them to take an active part in the joys - and responsibilities - of taking care of chickens. One of the sneaky problems with autism, even mild, is the difficulty in teaching them empathy for others. The chickens are a great way to start. "Do you think she looks sad today, or happy?" "Why do you think she's so happy?" You got this, Mom!!

There were some interesting and heart-warming stories in this thread. I do admire you all so much. I have been extremely lucky with my children's health as well as grandchildren's and now great-grandchildren's. I might add most of them live on the other side of the country to me, so it's phone calls and Facebook for us and we keep in close contact. I was unaware however that one of my granddaughters - a bright young woman, unmarried, uni student - was suffering from severe depression until, while reading one of her posts on FB one night, I realised she was extremely upset and her comments frightened me. I rang her straight away while my husband got on the internet trying to get an airline ticket for her. "Ask her if she will come over and stay with us for a while. We'll pay for the ticket." Her answer was "Yes, thank you." Within two days she was in the air, winging her way to us where she stayed for over a month. Before she arrived, my hubby said "I wish we had some chicks for her to bond with. I think it would do her good." Sadly we didn't but we did have some Indian Runner eggs in the incubator. I wanted to sell them to augment my pension. I checked the calendar and sure enough they were due to hatch in a couple of days. My lovely granddaughter arrived on a Friday and on Saturday morning she knocked on my bedroom door, "There's a little duckling in the incubator." She was so excited. It was wet, bedraggled but gorgeous. Later that day, we both stood and watched (and filmed) the second duckling emerge from its shell. It took a long time. "Should we leave it alone and get some dinner?" I asked. "No, Grandma. Let's watch." From that day I could see her demeanour change. She cleaned their brooder, fed and watered them, cuddled and petted them. They ran all over her and as they grew they would follow her around the house. When she named them, I knew that these were two little ducklings that would never be sold. They would remain here forever. During her time with us and during a subsequent visit a couple of months later, we saw a vast improvement in her mental health. She is now back at Uni, started a small business and is a totally different young lady. She attributes it to us bringing her over here to mend. I attribute it to two darling little ducklings that have also grown up to be two beautiful birds - a duck and a drake who, although I have seven more ducks, these two remain together as a couple with only a passing glance at the others. Knowing how much help can be received by depressed and aged people, I have now given two lots of hens to a local Aged Care facility for the dementia patients to nurse. I hope they give them some enjoyment.

Back
Top Bottom