Raising Chickens in an Apartment

I'm really interesting in owning a male chicken (a rooster I guess?) but I have no idea how to start. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and they are strict on no dogs or cats so im guessing a rooster is out of the question
barnie.gif

I am going to move however to my own studio or 1 bedroom apartment somewhere in NYC soon. I wanted to have a pet so I chose a rooster because it's fun and different but I don't know anything about having one. Is there any tips or info you can give me to at least prepare myself for this responsibility?

I managed apts. for years and if you were in my complex, you would receive a notice to MOVE BY THE 1ST. You probably need to read your rental agreement. I love my chickens, thats why i did not get any until we had land for them. Sorry to bust your bubble but I don't think your apt manage will allow it, marrie

I have been in rental management for years and the funniest violation from an HOA I ever received was an apartment complex converted to "condos" that wrote saying "tenants had chickens". I figured they must be mistaken since it was a 700 sq ft apartment on the second floor of a building. Call the tenant and say "do you have chickens?" tenant actually says, "oh is that a problem? I thought 'no pets' meant cats or dogs"...thankfully they got rid of the chickens and out of all of my move outs they left the place in better shape when they moved so they must have been doing something right with raising chickens in an apartment because you would have never thought anyone lived there ever....That being said, I can barely tolerate having my chicks inside the house and as soon as I can they get moved out to either the garage or the porch depending on the time of the year. Last winter a hen wondered into the house then freaked out and started running around, we have tile floors and I was afraid she was going to break her neck because she couldn't get traction so I would avoid any type of solid surface like laminate or tile, plus wood as it will scratch it up....How about get a small dog and make it a chicken outfit to wear in the apartment
lau.gif

Last edited:
Growing up our parents knew an old lady named Hattie that kept 2 geese in her bathtub!

She had purple hair and was about 10-yr-old child height!

We were not allowed to use the bathroom when we went to visit her!

I can't wait until I am old enough to have purple hair and keep livestock inside! If I did it now, it would just be called "weird", but if I do it when I am old, then it will just be "eccentric"!

goodpost.gif

I have my landlords the chikens are all over the place they even kiss the checkens I think its nasty and the poo every were thats y people have farms i never heard of anyone bringing it home. Chickens have alot of dissesases and people can get sick

Back
Top Bottom