raising Chickens is for the Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the other options are a tying dead, rotting corpse around my dog's neck, strapping on a pain collar, or shooting her? Then YES, I prefer my way.

There are many effective, gentle ways to train a dog. As long as they are humane and respectful then more power to you with whatever method you choose. But I prefer positive training techniques to fear and aversion. Funny enough, but it also worked quite well in my classroom when deal with kids. Seems people prefer to be treated with kindness rather than bullying - who would have thought. Guess it's just too outrageous for some to think that dogs might want that too.
That is exactly my point, YOU PREFER YOUR WAY.

That by no stretch of the imagination gives you the right to decide who gets to have a dog.

You have you're opinion and I respect you're right to have it and do what you like, however I take issue with everyone that doesn't agree with someone else's methods/beliefs unilaterally making judgment and dolling out punishment.

Sounds like the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria to me.

Wow, I think everyone missed the point here. The OP was at their wits end and has a serious problem. Everyone lost sight of the fact in a internet battle. There is no set perfect way to train a dog, every dog is different and so is every owner. There is no sense in attacking someone with a different opinion.

OP I think most everyone agrees that the dog must be slowly acclimated to understanding that the chickens aren't food. I agree that keeping the dog on a lead whenever in the yard is probably the safest route for dog and birds. You have several good suggestions here it is up to you to choose the one that best fits you and your dog! Good luck OP.

Wow, I think everyone missed the point here. The OP was at their wits end and has a serious problem. Everyone lost sight of the fact in a internet battle. There is no set perfect way to train a dog, every dog is different and so is every owner. There is no sense in attacking someone with a different opinion.

The world definitely needs peacemakers like you to wrangle in the hot-headed people like me, lol!

Great post - tried to give you an ovation but l'm over my limit.
hide.gif

I have a terrier mix, jack russell crossed with an australian cattle dog. Very high prey drive, and strong herding instinct. When we first got her, she even tried to herd the kids! She is great with my chickens, and pretty good with my rabbits, but it took time. Your puppy is still just that, a puppy, and can be trained, but the instincts and activity level are very high right now. The biggest factor we had to deal with was our dog accepting me as her alpha, and then knowing that the chickens and bunnies are mine, and she is not to touch. It isn't perfect, she doesn't respect my husband or kids as alpha to her, just "pack mates", but she will listen to me. There are many ways to get your dog to respect you, and you have to choose the one that is best for you, the amount of time you have, and your dog's personality. For us, I am home, so I was able to work extensively with our dog in the first year we had her. We had a few close calls, she was a rescue and had been abused, so trust was an issue for her, but she has never killed one of our other pets. I never had to hit her (and never would, with a dog that has abuse issues it would be counter productive), have had to use a firm voice, lock her into a room away from affection for short periods of time, and put her on a lead in the yard with me. I personally wouldn't use a dead chicken, because it's gross and I'm pretty sure my dog would think it was a snack tied to it's neck. What you do with your animals is obviously a big hot button for many people, just do your research and keep the animals separate until the dog respects you. Good luck, I hope you don't lose any more chickens.

The world definitely needs peacemakers like you to wrangle in the hot-headed people like me, lol!

Great post - tried to give you an ovation but l'm over my limit.
hide.gif

Thank you. You had some very good points. I have had many many dogs but we have never tried the kenneling method, although I know lots of people that have good results with it.

We have a 12 year old Border Collie Mix that we used physical discipline with good results as well (if he got in the trash or something he wasn't supposed to we showed him the mess and bopped him on the nose or backside). He was trained to respond to a snap and point of the fingers. He is one of the best behaved, and well adjusted, and yes happy, dogs I know. To me consistency is the all important key, as with children as well.

We are going to get a puppy for our three boys (ages 3, 6, and 8) very soon and may use the kenneling method to avoid messes while we are at work. We have an outdoor dog pen but it gets VERY hot here in the summer and VERY cold in the winter and I don't believe in leaving any pet out in the elements for a long time.

The only thing that really grinds me the wrong way with a dog owner is the people that keep a dog chained outside
he.gif
NO peace keeping for those people......what is the point in having a dog if it is forced to be away from the family. Dogs are meant to become permanent family members! Healthy happy dogs spend most of their time with their "pack"!

So you're saying one does not have the right to keep dogs for hunting? Again, just because you have that opinion does not give you the right to push that on other people. There is nothing wrong with a chain run as long as it is done properly.

BTW, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but after reading two post telling another person that was trying to help that they shouldn't be allowed to own a dog (in a very disrespectful manner by the way) I couldn't ignore it.

I have three dogs, two are good with the chickens one is a chicken assassin. He is on a wireless fence, problem solved.

So you're saying one does not have the right to keep dogs for hunting? Again, just because you have that opinion does not give you the right to push that on other people. There is nothing wrong with a chain run as long as it is done properly.
Umm I fail to see the connection here. My son has an amazing pointing labrador retriever and that dog lives IN THE HOUSE with him (his dog even hunts for and finds hidden egg nests LOL ). I've had hunting dogs - labs and bloodhounds - and they've never been kenneled outside. They're just as much a part of the family as any other type of dog.
Ok sorry to hijack this, just I see comments like this all the time about kenneling dogs because they're hunting dogs and I'll never understand why.

The issue is because you have one dog. Yes a house dog can hunt but would you keep 5, 10 or 20 hunting dogs in your house? If you decided to I would have no problem with that, and I and respect your decision to do so. But telling another person that their decision to keep a dog on a chain is wrong, is an just an opinion. Yes you have the right to it but that does not mean that everyone want to hear it.

Next someone is going to say "no one should keep 20 dogs" . I bet you can guess what I'm going to say.....that is right, it is none of your business and just your opinion.

Sometimes dogs are tools of a trade and not "members of the family", I understand the person reading this may not "like" that or "agree" with that but that is the natural reality of the situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom