raising Chickens is for the Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
It shouldn't be. Although I recommend everyone obey the law for their own protection, just because it is against the law does not mean it is wrong. Just an opinion that has turned into an intrusion into someones personal liberties.

Last edited:
The issue is because you have one dog. Yes a house dog can hunt but would you keep 5, 10 or 20 hunting dogs in your house? If you decided to I would have no problem with that, and I and respect your decision to do so. But telling another person that their decision to keep a dog on a chain is wrong, is an just an opinion. Yes you have the right to it but that does not mean that everyone want to hear it.

Next someone is going to say "no one should keep 20 dogs" . I bet you can guess what I'm going to say.....that is right, it is none of your business and just your opinion.

Sometimes dogs are tools of a trade and not "members of the family", I understand the person reading this may not "like" that or "agree" with that but that is the natural reality of the situation.

I think more people see what you're saying than you realize. The problem isn't with keeping a dog in a kennel. It's whether or not the dog is treated respectfully and humanely. There are many people who kennel their dogs and the dogs are well treated. They have regular social interaction with their owners and other dogs, they receive adequate exercise, and are mentally stimulated/challenged. I have no problem with "20" dogs living as kenneled dogs if they are taken care of.

The problem is with the people who dump dogs in kennels and then ignore them. The same with tie-outs and putting a dog on a permanent chain. If the dog is isolated and neglected, many people (myself included) see that as abusive. Unfortunately a LOT of people resort to treating their dogs this way simply because they lack the skills and knowledge to properly train them.

The issue isn't how people raise their dogs. It's how they treat them. And when situations are described that are seen as abusive, people ARE going to have an opinion about that and they ARE going to voice their concerns. When people advocate abusive training methods, I have a VERY hard time ignoring that - simply because someone else reading may not realize how bad the practices are and try them on their own dogs.

I can go on all day about this, opinions vary greatly.

You see, imo, if the dog has food, water, shelter and adequate room then that is humane to ME. If you want to regulate how often someone pets their dog I think that is wrong. It don't affect you, it is not your business, as long as the animal is healthy then they should have to right to keep them how they see fit.

Just as a side note I see "humane activist" all the time with horribly overweight animals, I think it is wrong, it is not good for their health, and well being. However I don't say anything to them and I don't think it should be illegal but is just as abusive to me as letting a dog starve the people are just killing them by a longer more drawn out death.

Last edited:
I can go on all day about this, opinions vary greatly.

You see, imo, if the dog has food, water, shelter and adequate room then that is humane to ME. If you want to regulate how often someone pets their dog I think that is wrong. It don't affect you, it is not your business, as long as the animal is healthy then they should have to right to keep them how they see fit.

Just as a side note I see "humane activist" all the time with horribly overweight animals, I think it is wrong, it is not good for their health, and well being. However I don't say anything to them and I don't think it should be illegal but is just as abusive to me as letting a dog starve the people are just killing them by a longer more drawn out death.

I agree as long as the dogs are fed, watered and have shelter it is humane, my daddy kept hunting dogs in pens all his life and it never hurt the dogs he took them hunting every other night. And no not in the very small house that us 5 kids and our mom lived in. Peace out!

Last edited:
It's a pup. It's curious, and will chase just about anything that moves because it's trying to PLAY. The problem is that chickens are not play toys, and can easily be hurt, or killed in the process. Start with a collar, and leash. Walk your pup on the leash whenever it goes outside. Within two weeks it will begin to work with you some, and quite fighting the leash. At this point, begin carrying a rolled up section of newspaper, and still on the leash, walk the dog near the coop. If it barks, swat with the newspaper, and tell it NO, firmly. If there is no barking, don't swat the dog. Do this for a couple days to make sure there is no barking at the chickens. At this point, enlist the help of another family member. They need to get and hold a chicken, while sitting down just outside the coop. With the dog on a tight (don't choke the dog) leash, and slowly approach the family member, and chicken, but keep a little distance. If the dog pulls hard on the leash, overly anxious to get to the chicken, tug firmly on the leash. If dog refuses to settle down, swat with newspaper, and say NO, firmly. Walk past the family member, and chicken. Turn around, and again walk slowly past the family member, and chicken. Repeat this process 3 - 4 days until the dog can see the chicken without trying to lunge for it. Now, you are ready to introduce the dog to the chicken. Continue as you have been doing, only this time, walk up and talk to the person holding the chicken. If the dog gets overly excited, tug at the leash, and continue walking, then turn around and repeat. As soon as you can approach the person holding the chicken with the dog, and the dog doesn't get overly excited, allow it to get near enough to sniff the chicken. You, and the person holding the chicken should be ready to swat the dog with the newspaper, and tell it NO, if it tries to grab the chicken with it's mouth. Repeat this for a week, trying not to use the same chicken each time. By now the dog should have settled down around your chickens. If you free range, walk him on the leash with the chickens outside. Don't let him bark, or try to chase them. If he does, a swat with the newspaper, and a firm NO should be used. Continue walking the pup in the yard on the leash, while the chickens are out, for a couple more weeks. At this point, you may slowly walk up to the chickens. They may move away, but the pup is not to try to grab them, or run after them. Yes, it will take some time, and effort, but if you dedicate the time to teach the dog now, you will be able to enjoy having it around for the rest of it's life without fear of it harming your chickens.

We have a three year old German Shepherd and have had success with training her to be kind the chickens.
Before the chickens arrived we practiced the command "leave it" and would reward her when she ignored something, such as a special treat or toy.
When let her see them through a protective barrier, and told her "babies, leave it" for what seemed like a hundred times the first few days. We would praise and reward her- every time.
When the chickens are out, if she doesn't listen to "leave it" or is getting too excited she has to go in the house as opposed to getting to stay outside with the family.
These methods have worked for us, but it does take a lot of time and consistency for the dog to fully get the idea. She now is even
protective over the chickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom