Raising ducks and chickens together

CalliBee

Songster
Mar 27, 2022
Hi, this is my first question posted here, along with still learning to navigate the site, so apologies if this has been answered or if I’m in the wrong place!

I recently purchased 12 chicks and 2 ducklings. Not my first rodeo with chicks but this is my first attempt at raising ducklings. I’ve done my research and have decided to brood them together, however I’m aware that the ducks need to cut down on their protein from 20-22% to about 18% in there 3rd-4th week. Would this be ok for my chicks? I’ve searched high and low for this answer! Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Sorry I don't know the actual information you are seeking, but I do feed the same food to young ducks as I do to young chickens. I use an all flock crumble that is intended for use in flocks with multiple species. I use Purina Flock Raiser. It can be eaten by poultry of any age.

Some folks say cut down on duckling protein, but I always feed to the end of the starter crumble bag and then go onto all flock or flock raiser pellets. I have had absolutely no harm from continuing starter crumbles for 5-6 weeks.

Remember that your ducklings will need extra niacin compared to your chicks. I use 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast per cup of feed. Your chicks can take the extra niacin too as it is water soluble and excreted harmlessly by the kidneys

I’ve heard ducks are easier to care for but all the info i have found is conflicting! Maybe I’m just over thinking it?
I’ve been using Purina all flock crumble but decided to go to my local tractor supply and pick up some duck feed. The only kind they had was for all stages of life and it had 22% protein! Another lady was shopping for her ducks near by too and I asked her opinion since I was confused on if I should be cutting back protien or not and she said hers eats dog food!
So I put the duck feed back and continued with the chicken feed. Noticed yesterday though that one of my ducklings is very wobbly and sitting a lot. Could it be a protein thing? Naicin deficiency?
I did switch from brewers yeast to Durvet vitamins and electrolytes(for their water) a little under a week ago. 22.5 MG of niacin per gallon of water. Is this enough?

Back
Top Bottom