Raising Guinea Fowl 101

I have never owned Guineas before. I'm hoping they don't annoy us or our neighbors. :oops:  

I'm from NW Washington. Is your family from Tri-cities? That's the only city I can think of in the SE corner. :)

I'm from Walla Walla, so you were close with your Tri-Cities guess. The area has turned into big wine country since I left so it has changed a lot. The NW part part of the state is really pretty, especially the Puget Sound area.....my brother lives near there (Anacortes).
As for the Guineas, they can be loud but I think it gets better as they get older and more mature. They are awesome for bug and tick control so hopefully your neighbors will appreciate them for that!

I'm from Walla Walla, so you were close with your Tri-Cities guess. The area has turned into big wine country since I left so it has changed a lot. The NW part part of the state is really pretty, especially the Puget Sound area.....my brother lives near there (Anacortes).
As for the Guineas, they can be loud but I think it gets better as they get older and more mature. They are awesome for bug and tick control so hopefully your neighbors will appreciate them for that!
It's beautiful here in the Puget Sound when it's not raining
lol.png

I'll let you guys know when my Guineas come. They are supposed to be shipped on the 21st.

I had 3 guineas "hatch" today". About a month ago I ran over a nest with the brush hog. The guinea Hen escaped with just a few feathers missing. ( I should have named her lucky) As soon as she scooted out I shut the brush hog down lifted it and backed up about 8 feet. I looked and found the nest there were 9 unbroken eggs.

I fired up a little giant incubator, I was not going to start a real incubator for 9 eggs and have to re-sterilize it. I sat it up in my brooder shed. (USDA vet, please ignore my saying I did this) I was very lackadaisical with the hatch and forgot it was there most the time. I thought they would hatch 27-28 if she had not sat on them yet.

My wife went into the hospital on the 24th so I was even more lackadaisical than before with these eggs. I think I put water in the incubator a couple times.

I checked them on the 27th and 28 and they did not hatch. So I ignored them and did not get around to throwing them out. Today I went to throw the eggs out and I had 2 guineas hatched and one stuck to the egg, that I broke out. I now have 3 keets I do not want.

However, I think I got rid of them, by chance someone called me the other day asking if I had chicks to put under a broody. I convinced her to take the keets.

I also sorted some birds today, I decided to keep 25 babies for next year and the rest went into the pen headed to the gamebird sale on the 17th.

They all have healthy lungs! Everyone screamed louder than the one before it when I picked them up. Some of them are just entering the uglier than normal stage now with the heads changing.

I had 3 guineas "hatch" today".    About a month ago I ran over a nest with the brush hog. The guinea Hen escaped with just a few feathers missing. ( I should have named her lucky)  As soon as she scooted out I shut the brush hog down lifted it and backed up about 8 feet.   I looked and found  the nest there were 9 unbroken eggs.

I fired up a little giant incubator, I was not going to start a real incubator for 9 eggs and have to re-sterilize it.   I sat it up in my brooder shed. (USDA vet, please ignore my saying I did this)    I was very  lackadaisical with the hatch and forgot it was there most the time. I thought they would hatch 27-28 if she had not sat on them yet.

My wife went into the hospital on the 24th so I was even more lackadaisical than before with these eggs. I think I put water in the incubator a couple times.

I checked them on the 27th and 28 and they did not hatch. So I ignored them and did not get around to throwing them out.  Today I went to throw the eggs out and I had 2 guineas hatched and one stuck to the egg, that I broke out.  I now have 3 keets I do not want.

However, I think I got rid of them, by chance someone called me the other day asking if I had chicks to put under a broody. I convinced her to take the keets.

I also sorted some birds today, I decided to keep 25 babies for next year and the rest went into the pen headed to the gamebird sale on the 17th.

They all have healthy lungs!  Everyone screamed louder than the one before it when I picked them up.  Some of them are just entering the uglier than normal stage now with the heads changing.

I have 6 of those "uglier than normal" stagers. It's hard to believe that those cute little newly hatched keets morph into those vulture-like juveniles. Not that the adults are beautiful birds or anything, but they are a whole lot prettier than the teenager version (come to think of it, the teenager version of anything is NEVER pretty!)

I do have to say that the adult Guineas do have beautiful feathers, though!

Thanks! she got home Saturday so life is kind of returning to normal.

Hey DR, hoping all is good with your wife and wishing a quick return to normalcy!! If you want to call living with the thugs of the bird world normal in any way shape or form!! Hubby's PTSD on super rise right know, not sure what triggered it for him. Hoping to return to some normalcy for myself! Lefty is hopping along as though there is no problem with his leg!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom