Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Pics
I bought 6 guineas last Sunday, suppose to be mostly females, but only 1 is laying. Maybe it's the stress. I was told to leave them in 2 weeks but on this thread it's saying 6 weeks. Obviously it doesn't effect them being cooped up that long? How often should I clean out the coop, I have straw down? What's good to clean the poop off where they roost? If I leave half out the first time, how do you get them back in at night without the others coming out, unless I'm standing there at dusk to let the 3 back in? Sorry for all the dumb questions.

The guinea are a real easy hatch! no kidding, if the eggs fertile you will get a guinea keet. Love them.. but you have to imprint early and often! pick a "call" i use ginne ginne ginnieeee.. or a bell what works for you, adults do not like keets. so if you incubate, be prepared to add them to the chicken flock a while. I plan to let my hens hatch this year. hopefully..

I've got 5 under a cuckoo maran thst haven't hatched. Prolly time to pitch.

Today is day 26 for the eggs under my bantam cochin. No activity as of yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

So I'm down to five of these little bug eaters, but they seem to be doin alright, they are increasing their feeding range to include a few of my neighbors, but I think they get the idea to keep their eyes on the skies. I think after I get my chicks in, im gonna order a bunch of em :D

Hmmmm, I guess dumb questions aren't answered on here
th.gif

I bought 6 guineas last Sunday, suppose to be mostly females, but only 1 is laying. Maybe it's the stress. I was told to leave them in 2 weeks but on this thread it's saying 6 weeks. Obviously it doesn't effect them being cooped up that long? How often should I clean out the coop, I have straw down? What's good to clean the poop off where they roost? If I leave half out the first time, how do you get them back in at night without the others coming out, unless I'm standing there at dusk to let the 3 back in? Sorry for all the dumb questions.

Hun sometimes posts get lost in the shuffle and people don't see them or it's the weekend and people are busy. Not to worry they are a very helpful bunch here!
I wouldn't worry about the laying, they do get stressed and sometimes take a bit to start laying again. I'm not sure how old they are. That would help a bit.
It is a good idea to keep them penned for a bit. You want them to know where home is! As far as being out there at dusk, you may have to. If you get out there a bit late they'll be okay.
As far as coop cleaning, use your own judgement. Does it smell bad, is it getting yucky? Does it look fresh and good? If you were a bird would you be okay in it :)?
Poop off the roost...putty knife? Or I would think for the most part it would fall off onto the straw?
And finally, No question is dumb.... It's called being smart and wanting to do it right the first time! :)
Welcome and if I've forgotten something or if you have more questions just yell.
I'm sure others will be along too :)

If they are adults, unless you have avrun, I wouldn't let them out for at least 3 weeks. Adults in particular are known to fly off and try to return "home" where they came from.

I wouldn't use hay or straw because of the strains of bacterium the produce. You'll know when it's time to clean. Hay or straw is also *a lot* harder to scoop and maintain between cleanings. I use a putty knife on my roosts if they need it. I do yearly thorough cleaning and repaint.

Light will attract the others, but I personally would wait until they are all ready to be let out. Catching just a few is a royal pain and rarely worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom