Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Pics
I got two keets today, along with 6 bantam chicks. Is there a trick to making sure they eat? They're mostly hiding under the warmer. I dipped their beaks in the water twice, and I even scrambled an egg for them just in case the crumble isn't enough protein. They seem pretty healthy, but I'm concerned that they didn't take to the water or food right away.

Hello :) im new to this forum. I just wanted some help in understanding my guinea fowl behaviour. I have two guine females and one male. And the male guine has just started attacking only one my female. He bumps into her, pluck her feathers and pecks her with his beak. He is only showing this behaviour to one of the females, and doen't even give attention to other. I thought he was trying to mate, but that doesn't count as a matting behaviour to me. So if anyone have any idea please help. I have osolated him from other two, but he is still in the same area. And if i set him free he does the same. So i really need the help. My both females are brought up at home by me, they were keets when i bought them, so they are bit civilized and i bought male just about 2 weeks ago to give them protection.

Hi, I am new to Guinea Fowl. We got 14 keets and released them at 9 wks. I fed them at night for 3 wks to train them and then released them. I live on 513 acres but wanted them in the creek not far from the house. After releasing them they naturally went to that area. They were doing well all day then at night I could not get them to come in for food. I had to leave them out. The next morning I was unable to find them. I found evidence that one was killed but it's been a week now and I still can't find them. What did I do wrong. They can't ALL be dead in one night can they?
I am so sorry! Is there any other houses near you that they may have joined another flock? Sadly it is possible they perished. What types of predators do you have?

I got two keets today, along with 6 bantam chicks. Is there a trick to making sure they eat? They're mostly hiding under the warmer. I dipped their beaks in the water twice, and I even scrambled an egg for them just in case the crumble isn't enough protein. They seem pretty healthy, but I'm concerned that they didn't take to the water or food right away.
they aren't as big a water drinking bird as chickens, but keep trying. The bantams will help them learn also! Keets are pretty hardy, and about the easiest to raise out of pheasant type poultry. the higher protein chick starter is best for them if you can get it, and will be great for the bantams too.

Hello
smile.png
im new to this forum. I just wanted some help in understanding my guinea fowl behaviour. I have two guine females and one male. And the male guine has just started attacking only one my female. He bumps into her, pluck her feathers and pecks her with his beak. He is only showing this behaviour to one of the females, and doen't even give attention to other. I thought he was trying to mate, but that doesn't count as a matting behaviour to me. So if anyone have any idea please help. I have osolated him from other two, but he is still in the same area. And if i set him free he does the same. So i really need the help. My both females are brought up at home by me, they were keets when i bought them, so they are bit civilized and i bought male just about 2 weeks ago to give them protection.
They need "see, cant touch" for a week or two longer. Able to fully see each other but cant actually touch (or peck), how old are all the birds now? Mine just started pairing and mating about 5 weeks ago, actually got my first keet hatch this weekend. Guinea are very slow to bond. My first 2 groups took almost a month to finally be social as a group. Cocks are fearless, will even take on a tom turkey! They are the most difficult IMO to add to a flock as an adult. They will pair up for attacks on other birds, and then turn around and attack each other!

they aren't as big a water drinking bird as chickens, but keep trying. The bantams will help them learn also! Keets are pretty hardy, and about the easiest to raise out of pheasant type poultry. the higher protein chick starter is best for them if you can get it, and will be great for the bantams too.
Thanks! I'll keep trying. I'm going to handle them once a day until they get used to me. I know they're not as tame as chickens. Hopefully they don't get too mad at me if I keep putting their beaks i the water. And I'll pick up the high protein chick starter asap.

Everyone made it through the night. The keets are in the back of the brooder surrounded by the chicks. Everyone slept great (but me).

If you say that hay/straw isn't a very good ground cover what would you suggest for a coop?
I think it works well, but figure that whatever you throw in there, you will have to remove and it will be gross. My coops are not fully covered with tin, so parts of them do get wet when it rains, but I think all in all I still just prefer dirt because it's so easy to rake, the poop sits on top, and since it's fairly hard packed, easy to rake out. Others may disagree. Whatever works for you. I liked the hay when I had some extra time to be cleaning, but I don't have it now.

Oddly enough we found tapping in the food and water with your finger works better with keets than dunking them. I don't know why, but it seems to work. I just tap my nail and they seem to think I'm eating/drinking :D But it's true too that the bantams should help with that. They'll see them eating.
Good luck! I love guineas!!!!

Oddly enough we found tapping in the food and water with your finger works better with keets than dunking them. I don't know why, but it seems to work. I just tap my nail and they seem to think I'm eating/drinking :D But it's true too that the bantams should help with that. They'll see them eating.
Good luck! I love guineas!!!!
Thanks! They're doing great now!

Back
Top Bottom