Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Pics
this past winter when my guineas would get close to the road i would open my coat and "spread" my wings at them. they wanted no part of that big ol bird. so when i want them by me they dont seem to be able to tell it was me doing that.

Anyone have any ideas on how to quiet them down? They are fine during the day, but start their noise after lights out and I can't seem to figure out why. They used to make some noise at night, but would quiet down quick enough...now, they are loud constantly, which gets the chickens going.
My neighbors started to complain and I don't blame them.
I need a solution...any ideas?
Thanks for your input!!

Anyone have any ideas on how to quiet them down? They are fine during the day, but start their noise after lights out and I can't seem to figure out why. They used to make some noise at night, but would quiet down quick enough...now, they are loud constantly, which gets the chickens going.
Thanks for your input!!

There is something that's not right. Is the coop secure so critters can't get at them? Guinea alert if they are afraid or feel threatened. If mine are sounding off I
am worried whats going on.

Thanks for your input!!
When I had a bunch of them (20+) they would go roost in a big tree that hung over a fenced in pile of lighter knots. Very safe place for them, by the security light as well as the radio that plays 24 hours a day, next to the chicken coops. Mine did the same thing, would go to hollering for seemingly no reason. The problem is that when one sounds the alarm, they all get going. One night I even came out to find them squawking but they had all flown down to the ground and were completely disoriented in the dark. Wouldn't stop cha-cha ing, nor could I round them up either. I don't know what scared them out of the tree but they did end up spending all night on the ground and were fine. Anyway, I can offer no solution but I do understand. I ultimately gave away my group, and now my original pair has a nest of 7, a most manageable number. I have only 2 close neighbors, and I ended up making both of them cakes as a peace offering. I didn't see if you said yours are in a coop, but if they are I would bet you that something is in there at night-- mice, rats, maybe a snake. I think your guineas should stay and the neighbors should go. :)

When I had a bunch of them (20+) they would go roost in a big tree that hung over a fenced in pile of lighter knots. Very safe place for them, by the security light as well as the radio that plays 24 hours a day, next to the chicken coops. Mine did the same thing, would go to hollering for seemingly no reason. The problem is that when one sounds the alarm, they all get going. One night I even came out to find them squawking but they had all flown down to the ground and were completely disoriented in the dark. Wouldn't stop cha-cha ing, nor could I round them up either. I don't know what scared them out of the tree but they did end up spending all night on the ground and were fine. Anyway, I can offer no solution but I do understand. I ultimately gave away my group, and now my original pair has a nest of 7, a most manageable number. I have only 2 close neighbors, and I ended up making both of them cakes as a peace offering. I didn't see if you said yours are in a coop, but if they are I would bet you that something is in there at night-- mice, rats, maybe a snake. I think your guineas should stay and the neighbors should go. :)
I will have to investigate for critters in the coop at night. They stay inside about 8 feet up. I hope I don't have to give them away....

There is something that's not right. Is the coop secure so critters can't get at them? Guinea alert if they are afraid or feel threatened. If mine are sounding off I
am worried whats going on.
I do have a new security light and the old one is now off, so it is a lot darker...that is the only change I have made that I can think of. Thanks!

Hi sorry to butt in here. I am curious to get a few for next year and am curious if there is a smaller sized Guinea??? I have some banty chicks now and worry some may be injured by keets in the future. my one girl peach is tiny and hangs by my cockerels side so she's not stepped on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom