Raising Guinea Fowl 101

20200621_124345.jpg

* Ingredients include niacin supplement
** Ingredients include brewers yeast

Payback's manufacturer is based in MN, so availability probably limited.

Based on this, I ordered a couple bags (or boxes?) of the Mazuri feed from Amazon. About $60 for 50 lbs. Have some lavender Guineas due in 9 days, want to do right by them.

View attachment 2205264
* Ingredients include niacin supplement
** Ingredients include brewers yeast

Payback's manufacturer is based in MN, so availability probably limited.

Based on this, I ordered a couple bags (or boxes?) of the Mazuri feed from Amazon. About $60 for 50 lbs. Have some lavender Guineas due in 9 days, want to do right by them.
The ones that have the niacin not listed have the information available if you contact the manufacturer. It isn't listed in most cases because the USDA did not make it a requirement to be included on the feed analysis. I don't remember exactly what it is but do know that the Purina 30% protein Startena does have the necessary amount of niacin.

If a person added brewers yeast would that make up for the niacin lack in a deficient feed? (just wondering--not contemplating guineas atm.)
Brewer's yeast or vitamin B complex in the water. It is a concern with keets, poults and game birds. It's the lysine and methionine that can be problematic supplementing.

Brewer's yeast or vitamin B complex in the water. It is a concern with keets, poults and game birds. It's the lysine and methionine that can be problematic supplementing.
So... it looks like dairy is a good source of lysine and eggs of methionone (in things one might reasonably consistently supplement game birds with--if GB specific feed isn't available.) I'm guessing if they free-range (in summer) they ideally would get these nutrients from insects?

Having difficulty finding a gamebird grower to transition juvenile keets to...

What should I be looking for? Would one of the lower protien starters or a duck feed work? Are there ballpark numbers for protein / lysine / methionine / niacin?

And just for future reference, what are good ballpark numbers for their starter? I don't think I'll be hatching any more this year, so I have a few seasons to search for alternatives / backups in case of spotty availability.

The ones that have the niacin not listed have the information available if you contact the manufacturer. It isn't listed in most cases because the USDA did not make it a requirement to be included on the feed analysis. I don't remember exactly what it is but do know that the Purina 30% protein Startena does have the necessary amount of niacin.

Having difficulty finding a gamebird grower to transition juvenile keets to...

What should I be looking for? Would one of the lower protien starters or a duck feed work? Are there ballpark numbers for protein / lysine / methionine / niacin?

And just for future reference, what are good ballpark numbers for their starter? I don't think I'll be hatching any more this year, so I have a few seasons to search for alternatives / backups in case of spotty availability.
I think you'd be happiest w/Purina startena. I had to have it shipped to me, but everything local had medication in it, and the Manna pro was a lot of crumbs. I was very happy w/consistency of Purina and it passed thenutritional reqs.

What about for 7-8 week olds?

I don't know what the difference is between starter vs. grower except grower would have less protein.
The lysine and methionine levels are also lower. If one can't find a proper grower (usually about 24% protein), a high quality chick starter can be substituted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom