Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Hello everyone, I’ve had guinea hens for about 5 years but this year presents a new problem for me. One of my guineas hens hatched 4 keets that I managed to confiscate and have under a heat lamp. They are 3 weeks old now. What I’m not sure about is when can I move them to the outside coop, I live in northern MN and we have already been seeing freezing temps at night and 50’s to 60’s during the day. I was planning on keeping them indoors under heat lamp until 4 weeks then changing the heat lamp bulb to a 100 watt build until they are 6 weeks. I was going to then move them to the coop outdoors. Is the cold weather we have here going to be ok for them in the coop? I was going to put the 100 watt bulb in the outdoor coop as well. I don’t want to stress them with the cold wrather but the longer I wait to move them outdoor the colder it’s getting outside. Any insight is much appreciated. P.S. I just discovered my other momma guinea is laying...she has a nest of 6 eggs already...I’m assuming they have froze during the nighttime hours though since she is not sitting on the nest yet.🤪

I have keets out in the coop with no heat that are just over 4wks old. Our cold weather in south central Minnesota hasn’t been too much for them. I took them off heat at a week and a halfish old.
I think if you cut off their heat now you should be able to move them outside without heat next week when temps go back up for a bit.

I have keets out in the coop with no heat that are just over 4wks old. Our cold weather in south central Minnesota hasn’t been too much for them. I took them off heat at a week and a halfish old.
I think if you cut off their heat now you should be able to move them outside without heat next week when temps go back up for a bit.
Thank you for your reply! I think I will try this, they are in our sauna now under a heat lamp. The sauna isn’t heated so the heat lamp is all the have for heat. Maybe I should cut the heat lamp and use a 100 watt bulb for a few days and then remove the light for a few days before moving them to the coop at 4 weeks old....???

Thank you for your reply! I think I will try this, they are in our sauna now under a heat lamp. The sauna isn’t heated so the heat lamp is all the have for heat. Maybe I should cut the heat lamp and use a 100 watt bulb for a few days and then remove the light for a few days before moving them to the coop at 4 weeks old....???
What is the temp in the sauna without the lamp on? If it’s at least 70f I would just cut any heat source. Not saying doing it the way you suggest is wrong at all. That’s fine too, it just might not be necessary.

I brood my keets, chicks, and poults in my sunroom. That allows me to leave the top of a slid window open at night. It gets them used to temp swings and I swear they feather faster:) This has been my first year with keets this late. Last year I got my original flock in May.

Well, I removed the heat lamp this morning but I did opt to use a 100 watt bulb. The temp in the sauna dressing room is only about 58 deg. It looks like these keets are fully feathered but I could be wrong. It’s supposed to be in the mid 60’s today so I will open the window to let the air inside. Here’s a pic of the little cuties.

Attachments

• 66854B44-9904-4471-9876-2EEBB15DFDF6.jpeg
    66854B44-9904-4471-9876-2EEBB15DFDF6.jpeg
    549.8 KB · Views: 22
Well, I removed the heat lamp this morning but I did opt to use a 100 watt bulb. The temp in the sauna dressing room is only about 58 deg. It looks like these keets are fully feathered but I could be wrong. It’s supposed to be in the mid 60’s today so I will open the window to let the air inside. Here’s a pic of the little cuties.
Very cute!!! :love

I would like to get several female guineas along with bantam ducks there would be 1 drake. Would there be any problems keeping them together? They would free range in the day and be locked up at night.

I would like to get several female guineas along with bantam ducks there would be 1 drake. Would there be any problems keeping them together? They would free range in the day and be locked up at night.
I don't recommend having just a couple of guineas. They are a flock bird and do best in large groups of their own kind.

Back
Top Bottom