raising meal worms

Seems I am raising them accidentally.
I have a small compost bin about 16" diameter 12" or so deep covered with a meatal lid with a hole in the middle.
I just went to throw some stuff in there and found that there were thousands of meal worms in there.   So many that you can hear them moving.   YUCK  :barnie

My chickens will love me.  :cd      I just don't know how to get them out.

Are you sure that isn't black soldier fly larvae? They love compost and are very good at breaking it down. People pay a lot of money to get black soldier Flys for their compost bins. Chickens love to eat them too but the black soldier fly can fly unlike the darkling beetle. Google or check pintereest there is ways to easily harvest them. When they are changing stages they will climb upwards and you can have them climb right into a tub for the chickens

Last edited:
One problem might be that the oats or one of the other foods had mites. Even if the food were from a can or was wrapped, they could still have mites in them. To prevent this, simply freeze the oats or other foods for a good 24 hours, then give it to the meal worms.

I raise earthworms as treats for my chickens and they absolutely love corn meal.
What I usually do is sprinkle about 2 table spoons on the worms and then splash a bit of water.
My earthworms adore it so I am almost positively sure that your meal worms will love it too.
Good Luck!

I raise earthworms as treats for my chickens and they absolutely love corn meal.
What I usually do is sprinkle about 2 table spoons on the worms and then splash a bit of water.
My earthworms adore it so I am almost positively sure that your meal worms will love it too.
Good Luck!
What type of set up do you have for them?

What type of set up do you have for them?
I have a box, (You can choose which size you would like depending on how many worms you need) I just have a large shoe box. With a razor I cut a hole on the top.
And i line it with a small trash bag so the worms dont chew through it after the paper has softened.
I fill it will a nice rich soil, keep it watered, and feed them corn meal. I also toss in come compost that they can decompose.
Make sure when you are closing it not to cover up the soil with plastic because they wont be able to breath and it may be to hot for them.
Hope this helped!

Last edited:
I have a box, (You can choose which size you would like depending on how many worms you need) I just have a large shoe box. With a razor I cut a hole on the top.
And i line it with a small trash bag so the worms dont chew through it after the paper has softened.
I fill it will a nice rich soil, keep it watered, and feed them corn meal. I also toss in come compost that they can decompose.
Make sure when you are closing it not to cover up the soil with plastic because they wont be able to breath and it may be to hot for them.
Hope this helped!

Yes it helped thanks.

Back
Top Bottom