Raising Meat birds on alternative feeds (ie CHEEP-ly)

I am getting 50 meat birds on April 30th... my first time. super excited however I'm getting a little scared/overwhelmed now! lol

I'm trying to gather as much info as i can... I've never heard of fermenting feed...? what is that and how is it different from feeding the purchased feed?

with having this many birds i would love to find out how to cut costs a little!

New to this site... love it!!!

Hi its easy. In a 5 gallon bucket add 12# chick starter and 2 1/2 gallon water. If you like you can add 2 T Mothered Apple cider Vinegar. It's just optional to speed it up a touch. Stir daily for 4-5 days and it's ready for feeding. Just put a towel over it. I fed my babies 3 times a day and left enough for it to be empty when I came back. You save money because it's the consistancy of thick oatmeal or peanut butter. and won't get thrown out and trampled. It swells so is cheaper. The nutrients are absorbed much better so the poop is less smelly. With fifty chicks I'd do 2 buckets a day or two apart. Feed out of one and let the other ferment. After it's about 80% down start out of the other bucket. Then just add feed and water (add water first and stir backslop from bottom) It will ferment in another 24 hrs or even 12. You don't have to add ACV after the first time. I'd keep a touch in their water to keep slime down. You can make a trough for them out of a 10' rain gutter. Cut it in half and you have 2. Some people steady it with a 2x4" board hammered on, but I've seen people stand a cinder block up sideways at each end and stick the trough in the bottom hole for babies and move it to the top hole later as they grow. Some people put yogurt container tops o the ends or buy end caps. You don't really have to have it because it won't last enough to leak out the end. My 16 babies have been on it from day 1 and are healthy, happy and GROWING.
lau.gif

I am glad I found this thread. A big thanks to Whoopsie Daisy for starting it. And WELCOME to BYC too! I am just finishing up with 20 Pekin ducks. I butchered 2 yesterday just to test the waters, LOL. I used regular feed, but supplemented it with greens from my garden. I have read this posting with interest in the different methods of feed for the meat flocks.

A shout out to LindaB220 and RachelJG, I'm in southeast Texas and we will be relocating to the Mineola/Tyler area, hopefully around the end of this year. So we will be NEIGHBORS! We currently live smack in the middle of our little town, keep 20 layers and (now) 15 Pekins and I also ordered 3 Runner ducks for their eggs. I garden in the front yard, due to sunshine issues in the back yard. I will be keeping tabs on this thread.

Thank you guys so much for your input! this is really getting exciting! and so nice to have someone to talk to for advice!

so some of you soak chicken starter and ferment that???

others grains...??? which grains and what ratios? you want there to be a certain amount of protein right?

I got mine from a water garden nursery--they gave me a plastic baggie of it and a weird look, because for them it's a weed. It also grows wild here (it's an invasive, but mine can't escape because we don't live near water). Many places in the world it grows wild in streams, ponds, and waterways. Some places it's considered a pest, but its quick growth rate is what makes it so useful. I don't know that it's naturalized outside of the warmer parts of the world, so depending on where you live you may or may not be able to collect some wild, but it seems I've heard of people it temperate zones cultivating it too, so maybe ask around...

I've never heard of Tree Lucerne... now I'm going to have to look that up! I have rabbits too, and we don't feed pellets either, so I'm always looking for more nutritious stuff that's easy to cultivate for them. If it grows in S Africa, I just might be able to grow it here... if I can get some that is... :) Right now we rely a lot on Cordylines, pidgeon pea greens, grasses, Synedrella nodiflora, sweet potato leaves, hibiscus, garden greens, and a lot of other stuff but more cut-and-carry options to fall back on never hurts, especially as those growouts get bigger and bigger and keep eating everything we can throw at them...
ep.gif
I keep meaning to plant some mulberry too. That's also supposed to be a complete, or nearly complete, feed for rabs as well
I've also only recently heard of Tree Lucerne and the farm selling it here had a sample of theirs analyzed when the trees are seeding (then the nutrient value is at it's lowest) and it still had almost 30% protein in it. Animals can graze directly from it, or in the case of rabbits, it can be pruned and fed to them. My buns are still on pellets, but I'm slowly changing their diet. When I got the 3 does and 1 buck, they were fed pellets only. I now feed them a mix of half pellets, half sunflower, wheat, oats and barley mix, supplemented with unlimited freshly picked grass that I place on top of their cages and they pull it through and eat it. Keeps them busy as well. Someone has mentioned that the Tree Lucerne can be fed to chickens as well, but do chickens even eat leaves? I can try, but something tells me my chickens will turn their beaks up at it...

I've researched the Azolla, and with what I've seen thus far, Duckweed and Azolla are not the same thing, very similar but not entirely the same, but I like what I'm reading so I will be starting to look for some. I'm walking down to the farm dam tomorrow to see if there might be some - I intended to today, but I had such a yucky day that I just came home, fed the chickens, dogs and husband and plopped down on the bed...

I am getting 50 meat birds on April 30th... my first time. super excited however I'm getting a little scared/overwhelmed now! lol

I'm trying to gather as much info as i can... I've never heard of fermenting feed...? what is that and how is it different from feeding the purchased feed?

with having this many birds i would love to find out how to cut costs a little!

New to this site... love it!!!
I had the same excited/scared/nervous/overwhelmed feeling before my meaties came, but right now I'm feeling pretty on top of it. They're healthy and happy and so far they're very low maintenance. BUT they're only a few days old, so we'll see.... I will be free ranging them from 2 weeks old so I'm sure I will still have my days with them!

Hi its easy. In a 5 gallon bucket add 12# chick starter and 2 1/2 gallon water. If you like you can add 2 T Mothered Apple cider Vinegar. It's just optional to speed it up a touch. Stir daily for 4-5 days and it's ready for feeding. Just put a towel over it. I fed my babies 3 times a day and left enough for it to be empty when I came back. You save money because it's the consistancy of thick oatmeal or peanut butter. and won't get thrown out and trampled. It swells so is cheaper. The nutrients are absorbed much better so the poop is less smelly. With fifty chicks I'd do 2 buckets a day or two apart. Feed out of one and let the other ferment. After it's about 80% down start out of the other bucket. Then just add feed and water (add water first and stir backslop from bottom) It will ferment in another 24 hrs or even 12. You don't have to add ACV after the first time. I'd keep a touch in their water to keep slime down. You can make a trough for them out of a 10' rain gutter. Cut it in half and you have 2. Some people steady it with a 2x4" board hammered on, but I've seen people stand a cinder block up sideways at each end and stick the trough in the bottom hole for babies and move it to the top hole later as they grow. Some people put yogurt container tops o the ends or buy end caps. You don't really have to have it because it won't last enough to leak out the end. My 16 babies have been on it from day 1 and are healthy, happy and GROWING.
lau.gif
Thank you, Linda, for helping out with all the questions asked on this thread! Due to time differences and the extremely good chance that I might answer incorrectly (I often know what to do but can't explain it!) I really appreciate all the great input! I've been fermenting my chicks' feed for them from day one, but they're drinking out all the juices and then stomping the rest down with their feet so that they almost can't eat it (it's compacted...) Is that normal the first few days? Am I feeding too much?

I am glad I found this thread. A big thanks to Whoopsie Daisy for starting it. And WELCOME to BYC too! I am just finishing up with 20 Pekin ducks. I butchered 2 yesterday just to test the waters, LOL. I used regular feed, but supplemented it with greens from my garden. I have read this posting with interest in the different methods of feed for the meat flocks.

A shout out to LindaB220 and RachelJG, I'm in southeast Texas and we will be relocating to the Mineola/Tyler area, hopefully around the end of this year. So we will be NEIGHBORS! We currently live smack in the middle of our little town, keep 20 layers and (now) 15 Pekins and I also ordered 3 Runner ducks for their eggs. I garden in the front yard, due to sunshine issues in the back yard. I will be keeping tabs on this thread.
You're welcome :) and thanks for the Welcome!
frow.gif

Someone has mentioned that the Tree Lucerne can be fed to chickens as well, but do chickens even eat leaves? I can try, but something tells me my chickens will turn their beaks up at it...

I can't really see that working either, unless maybe they were dried and ground, but still... Leaves are a significant but tiny portion of chickens' diets. They generally only nibble small amounts of tender growth for the phytonutrients and fiber, since they shouldn't be able to digest the fiber and tannins any better than we can, so I'd be skeptical too... I hear now an then people talking about how they've fed this green or other to chickens that mine won't touch, weird, tough things like ferns or cordylines, which doesn't really square with my experience. Unless, I suppose, they are kept so starved that they'll eat anything.
hmm.png
IMHO if people want chickens that really eat lots of greens they should get rabbits...
hide.gif

Cheers, and best of luck!
smile.png

Last edited:
I hung a piece of gutter in my pen today to get the chickens used to that type of feeder and started my fermented feed bucket today! Added some bubbies pickle juice and hope to start feeding some out of it on Monday.
Quote: Baymule, Hi! I was talking to someone today who used to "grow" soldier fly larvae as a protein source for his chickens. I'm definitely going to give it a try since I accidentally grew a whole tub of them last summer (I was trying to compost kitchen scraps). I'm realizing that many "alternative feed" solutions are going to be climate/location dependent, but apparently that's something that will work in East TX. I'll keep you guys posted if it works!

Hello everyone, I thought I'd weigh in. I don't have chickens, I have ducks. I live in the middle of the city. I've been keeping my birds for eggs. They have free range of the backyard but are locked up at night for their safety.

Some of my feed I get free. I live across from a microbrewery and get spent grain from them. I add scratch and oatmeal to that. The ducks do pretty well on it. Spent grain is a byproduct of brewing. The brewers soak grain and ferment the resulting water for beer.

I would be leary of fermented grain for ducks. Some people I know fed spoiled spent grain to ducks and it killed them. Chickens are more hardy in that respect.

I found duckweed growing in a nearby pond. More free feed. I offered some the my ducklings and they ate all I would give them.

I have been buying mealworms but I really need to start raising some.

Ducks love greens. A duck fed grain only would be a very unhappy duck.

I've also only recently heard of Tree Lucerne and the farm selling it here had a sample of theirs analyzed when the trees are seeding (then the nutrient value is at it's lowest) and it still had almost 30% protein in it. Animals can graze directly from it, or in the case of rabbits, it can be pruned and fed to them. My buns are still on pellets, but I'm slowly changing their diet. When I got the 3 does and 1 buck, they were fed pellets only. I now feed them a mix of half pellets, half sunflower, wheat, oats and barley mix, supplemented with unlimited freshly picked grass that I place on top of their cages and they pull it through and eat it. Keeps them busy as well. Someone has mentioned that the Tree Lucerne can be fed to chickens as well, but do chickens even eat leaves? I can try, but something tells me my chickens will turn their beaks up at it...

I've researched the Azolla, and with what I've seen thus far, Duckweed and Azolla are not the same thing, very similar but not entirely the same, but I like what I'm reading so I will be starting to look for some. I'm walking down to the farm dam tomorrow to see if there might be some - I intended to today, but I had such a yucky day that I just came home, fed the chickens, dogs and husband and plopped down on the bed...

I had the same excited/scared/nervous/overwhelmed feeling before my meaties came, but right now I'm feeling pretty on top of it. They're healthy and happy and so far they're very low maintenance. BUT they're only a few days old, so we'll see.... I will be free ranging them from 2 weeks old so I'm sure I will still have my days with them!

Thank you, Linda, for helping out with all the questions asked on this thread! Due to time differences and the extremely good chance that I might answer incorrectly (I often know what to do but can't explain it!) I really appreciate all the great input! I've been fermenting my chicks' feed for them from day one, but they're drinking out all the juices and then stomping the rest down with their feet so that they almost can't eat it (it's compacted...) Is that normal the first few days? Am I feeding too much?

You're welcome :) and thanks for the Welcome!
frow.gif
Thanks Sweetie, on the babies stomping down the feed. It's normal. Some people just stir it again and they'll eat it. Or some people put it in a trough and put wire over it so they can't get in, just their heads. I haven't done that yet, so I just stir and dump more on top. They are so bored and want to go outside. Just can't for a few more days. The bigger ones seem to be about 5 times more than at birth. BIG. Golden Comets.

Last edited:
This is from the Wikipedia article on Azolla:

Food
In addition to its traditional cultivation as a bio-fertilizer for wetland paddy (due to its ability to fix nitrogen), azolla is finding increasing use for sustainable production of livestock feed.[16] Azolla is rich in proteins, essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals. Studies describe feeding azolla to dairy cattle, pigs, ducks, and chickens, with reported increases in milk production, weight of broiler chickens and egg production of layers, as compared to conventional feed. One FAO study describes how azolla integrates into a tropical biomass agricultural system, reducing the need for inputs.[17] Azolla has also been suggested as a food stuff for human consumption. However, no long term studies of the healthiness of eating Azolla have been made on humans.[18]

I think this may be the same stuff used in Integrated Rice Duck Farming. k

Back
Top Bottom