Raising Meat birds on alternative feeds (ie CHEEP-ly)

So, potentially a stupid question but, if you have a butt ton of land (say 2-3 acres, my grand master plan is for 15-25) for them to roam on with a compost heap, do you need to feed them more? Or, is more on top optional for making them as fat as possible as fast as possible?

So, potentially a stupid question but, if you have a butt ton of land (say 2-3 acres, my grand master plan is for 15-25) for them to roam on with a compost heap, do you need to feed them more? Or, is more on top optional for making them as fat as possible as fast as possible?

That's not a stupid question at all, it's a fascinating and useful one, but I think that's hard to say. There are a lot of variables, like the size of your compost heap, how it's managed (lots of insects, or too hot for them?), the quality and type of forage available (bug-rich leaf litter, fallen fruit?), your weather patterns and climate (chickens can't forage adequately on frozen ground or snow), as well as the type and breed of chickens (games or landraces usually forage better, and smaller chickens need to eat less). Also what you're expecting to get out of the flock--it's easy enough for chickens to get enough nourishment to survive, but if you also want a lot of eggs, or want them to reproduce efficiently, that requires substantially higher quality feed (whether foraged or provided). This is why wild chickens scavenging the woods don't lay all the time, they lay a clutch when the abundance of food allows them to produce one.

Setting up a forage-based system is a great way (if not, in fact, the very BEST WAY!) to keep a flock, and chickens can convert the diverse feed sources available in the landscape into nutritionally perfect eggs and meat, and be supremely happy doing so. But you can't ever get something for nothing, and the results are only as good as the environment you provide, and your choice of breed. I think most people in reality will end up feeding something, but it could just be something like cheap grain, or stale bread, or scraps, if the forage is good enough. Also, feeding them something, even just some scraps or treats, provides an incentive for them to stick around, and can keep them tamer, in case you ever need to handle them.

Also, I don't think that 2-3 acres is a "butt ton" of land for anything but a rather small flock of chickens if you're envisioning an exclusively, or nearly exclusively, foraging based system, but like I said, it depends on what you've got there (a giant compost heap could definitely help--also things like orchards or berry patches, or manure-filled pastures will up the carrying capacity). Where I live the wild/feral chickens (which are the ultimate foraging breed) forage in small flocks of usually less than half a dozen over many acres, adjusting their habits seasonally based on what fruits are in season as so forth. You only find large numbers of them congregating in one area where some process, usually human-created, has provided enough resources to support them, like campgrounds, garbage dumps, neglected orchards, etc.

Last edited:
i got two bags of starter today... got home and realized the guy sold me medicated. i was planning on fermenting the starter.... can i still do it with medicated?

and also, how long should someone feed medicated until there is actually a resistance built up?

No problems. The fermented feed will just overcome the medicated part of the other. Beekissed is an expert on this and said it's fine. Use the feed and buy unmedicated next time.

I'd let them forage all day and about 4pm give them a good feed. Carry them over until the next day. Foraging is suppose to consist of approximately 30% of their daily protein and nutrients.

Also, I don't think that 2-3 acres is a "butt ton" of land for anything but a rather small flock of chickens if you're envisioning an exclusively, or nearly exclusively, foraging based system, but like I said, it depends on what you've got there (a giant compost heap could definitely help--also things like orchards or berry patches, or manure-filled pastures will up the carrying capacity). Where I live the wild/feral chickens (which are the ultimate foraging breed) forage in small flocks of usually less than half a dozen over many acres, adjusting their habits seasonally based on what fruits are in season as so forth. You only find large numbers of them congregating in one area where some process, usually human-created, has provided enough resources to support them, like campgrounds, garbage dumps, neglected orchards, etc.

I plan (again 10 years down the line when I get back to the US) to have between 15 and 35 acres with sheep and horses as well. Since you pointed out that this would reduce laying and breeding capacity the question then becomes: what would one need to grow, and in what amounts to adequately feed a flock? I am going to be growing wheat for flour (hoping to make myself nearly self sufficient), oats, and maybe a little corn.

Sounds like I need to add a big patch of berries near the coop then ^_^ Yum~ All my compostable garbage would go to the chickens as well as having them in the horse/sheep pasture (they will be on rotation to reduce parasites and reduce land stress based on foraging patterns).

Has anybody tried growing corn and fermenting the corn? Just thought I'd throw that out there, maybe someday I will have the room to try that myself.

So I found another alternative feed, or at least something I can supplement with... MAGGOTS (ewwwww). Oh well, getting them is simple enough, plus I found this link that says it contains around 63% protein. I'm talking about normal house fly maggots here, but Black Soldier Flies can also be done. http://www.examiner.com/article/nutritional-content-of-the-common-house-fly-musca-domestica-l

Here is a youtube link to a guy that made a simple bucket to attract the flies and harvest the maggots, although his method results in gross rotten meat juice collected with the maggots BUT reading through the comments section provides some great solutions to prevent this.

Part one:

Part two:

Oh, and being on Youtube, I also found this :)

I have also seen great things about using bones from slaughtered animals, skulls in particular. They attract all kinds of bugs. If you do any slaughter. Plus, the marrow is also yummy for the birds.

Also, rotting logs, turn them on occasion.

I plan (again 10 years down the line when I get back to the US) to have between 15 and 35 acres with sheep and horses as well. Since you pointed out that this would reduce laying and breeding capacity the question then becomes: what would one need to grow, and in what amounts to adequately feed a flock? I am going to be growing wheat for flour (hoping to make myself nearly self sufficient), oats, and maybe a little corn.

Sounds like I need to add a big patch of berries near the coop then ^_^ Yum~ All my compostable garbage would go to the chickens as well as having them in the horse/sheep pasture (they will be on rotation to reduce parasites and reduce land stress based on foraging patterns).
I don't think there's a definitive universal answer to those questions, which is what I was trying to suggest earlier... And you haven't even specified how many chickens, what breeds, or what you'd be wanting out of them, or know what kind of climate region this property is going to be in, how big it will be, and what's already on it--or any of the other variables I mentioned in my first reply...
smile.png
And knowing the land is really everything...

I imagine when it comes time someone with local experience would be able to help you more with specifics. And ultimately you'll learn for sure what works well and doesn't in practice. I'm just trying to help by suggesting things you MIGHT want to consider. It sounds like you're smart and on the right track though, so I wish you the best of luck with your vision!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I've
So I found another alternative feed, or at least something I can supplement with... MAGGOTS (ewwwww).  Oh well, getting them is simple enough, plus I found this link that says it contains around 63% protein.  I'm talking about normal house fly maggots here, but Black Soldier Flies can also be done.   http://www.examiner.com/article/nutritional-content-of-the-common-house-fly-musca-domestica-l  

Here is a youtube link to a guy that made a simple bucket to attract the flies and harvest the maggots, although his method results in gross rotten meat juice collected with the maggots BUT reading through the comments section provides some great solutions to prevent this.  

Part one: 

Part two: 

Oh, and being on Youtube, I also found this :)

I've read maggots will cause botulism...

Back
Top Bottom