Raising Meat birds on alternative feeds (ie CHEEP-ly)

Processed my broilers Saturday. Ended up using a very primitive (and relatively cheap) set-up (wood fire, hand plucking and the restraining cone I bought was too small so they got strung up in a tree with nylon string!). I got something right though bc, for all the trauma those birds sustained in my "care," the roo was 6.25lbs dressed and the pullets were each about 4.5lbs! Brining one for dinner later. Planning for more in three weeks... I'll need something to eat my BSF larva and all the volunteer squash growing in my garden compost pile. Thinking about trying some turkeys with the next batch.

I have a question we have let our hens roost on our 31 eggs for 5 weeks how much longer could it take. I was told it could only 3 weeks Reply Back soon Please

jumpy.gif

Is anyone still here? I'm getting a second batch of 50 broilers on friday. Here's my alternative feed plan:
I have been harvesting BSF larvae from my BSF "farm" (read, "glorified barrel") and dehydrating them... looking forward to when I can just pitch them into the pen, but figure dried and crumbled up will be easier for little chicks.
I just hauled in some 7.5-8lb butternut squash from my garden. They are tagged for the chicken feed ferment.
Calculating the protein percentage and amounts to mix has been tricky bc. the squash has such a high water content and the larvae are about 1/2 water if they are live. Anybody know if I can just throw dried larvae into my ferment mixture? or do I need to add them right when I feed? Maybe I should do like someone else on this thread (WhoopsieDaisey?) and just give them a quarter lb. of bugs daily... but bugs are probably fattier than ground beef... Am I over-thinking this? For my last batch I used a feed that I calculated was only 15% protein (before fermenting... couldn't find a value for projecting after ferment % because apparently they vary widely) and they did fine.
Also, my feed mixture is "whole grain" (corn-free, and soy-free with peas and lentils for protein), so I'm thinking I'll run it through the food processor for them after fermenting... which might prove too time-consuming... we shall see...
My primary non-feed-related concern is the heat, but a thermometer in the (new!) brooder read only 95 yesterday at 3:00PM in full sun, and they need to be warm right at first anyway, so I'm staying optimistic.

Is anyone still here? I'm getting a second batch of 50 broilers on friday. Here's my alternative feed plan:
I have been harvesting BSF larvae from my BSF "farm" (read, "glorified barrel") and dehydrating them... looking forward to when I can just pitch them into the pen, but figure dried and crumbled up will be easier for little chicks.
I just hauled in some 7.5-8lb butternut squash from my garden. They are tagged for the chicken feed ferment.
Calculating the protein percentage and amounts to mix has been tricky bc. the squash has such a high water content and the larvae are about 1/2 water if they are live. Anybody know if I can just throw dried larvae into my ferment mixture? or do I need to add them right when I feed? Maybe I should do like someone else on this thread (WhoopsieDaisey?) and just give them a quarter lb. of bugs daily... but bugs are probably fattier than ground beef... Am I over-thinking this? For my last batch I used a feed that I calculated was only 15% protein (before fermenting... couldn't find a value for projecting after ferment % because apparently they vary widely) and they did fine.
Also, my feed mixture is "whole grain" (corn-free, and soy-free with peas and lentils for protein), so I'm thinking I'll run it through the food processor for them after fermenting... which might prove too time-consuming... we shall see...
My primary non-feed-related concern is the heat, but a thermometer in the (new!) brooder read only 95 yesterday at 3:00PM in full sun, and they need to be warm right at first anyway, so I'm staying optimistic.

Hey RachelJG, good to hear from you. 50? Wow, brave girl. I'm only getting 25 in Sept. But I have NO help and this works for me. I have never heard of fermenting veggies. Do you mean like silage? Or in with the grain? Don't worry about the food processor. I've learned a new "old thing" soaked oats. I had the worst time getting my chickens to eat oats. And they are so good for them. Up to 25% of the fermented feed. What I learned is to put a bunch (25 lbs) in a n 18 gallon container and cover with water. Put top on lightly. Every day for 5 days add more water if needed. Well, my place is hot so after 4 days it was bubbling like I had it on the boil. Totally fermented. So I added 2 qts to the fermented bucket and begain feeding out. Man they love it. The only thing that they wouldn't eat was whole corn. Even fermented. So I cut my feed with scratch and oats. I'm going to start buying mash instead of pellets or crumbles. It ferments the same and you have better pieces showing. I wanted to bump up my protein so I bought a bag of gamebird at 26% protein for $18. I use 1 qt for the 5 gallon bucket. with maybe 3 scoops of layer or starter. And a couple of cups of BOSS. No idea what my ration is . 18% to 22 %. I don't know. Fermenting your 15% will bump it up to about 16.5% from what I understand.
I have 11 12 day old blue egg layers and 1 ea 6 day old Basque and Coronation. Cutest ever. First time I didn't buy hatchery birds and I can't tell you the difference in the demeanor. Friendly and play together well. And they want OUT of the 4x6 coop. It's a dog kennel with a top and they fly up and hang. I've got to do something with the 13 3.5 mo old pullets. They are ready to be POL and I have 33 in the incubator. What an exciting time.
tongue2.gif

I'm still here also :)
I will be getting 20 meaties in a few weeks and my feed plan looks like yours Rachel, except I will be feeding FF with live mealworms.

Linda, while I was looking for info on FF, I saw that some people do throw in veggies in the mix! Some also use the water from boiled beets to put in the FF. I thought to myself - do veggies really ferment, or they go bad? Well, you know when people talk about home made alcohol with potatoes? guess potatoes ferment, and alcohol comes from that?! but is that a good thing in lacto-fermentation?! I don't know enough about it..

Rachel, let us know what happens with the fermented squash please. I'm also growing A LOT of squash in the garden, I am interested! :)

Linda, I am jealous of your blue layers hehe. Had a really hard time finding some in Quebec. I bought one on june 5th. She never layed yet.. I think she's an old girl. I got fooled ;) And I tried to order fertilized eggs, they are really hard to find in Quebec also. Oh well, I suppose in the end, my white and brown eggs do the job as well as blue eggs, it is just less original in the egg basket ;)

I have never heard of fermenting veggies.  Do you mean like silage?    Or in with the grain?    Don't worry about the food processor.

Sure you've heard of fermenting veggies! Sauerkraut... Lacto-fermented pickles... You can do carrots. Green beans... All sorts of veggies. They normally require salt, but I just threw 1/2inch cubes in with the grain and some pickle juice from bubbies lacto fermented pickles to kick start it. When I say "whole grain" I mean that literally. I'm just not seeing 48hr old chicks swallowing split peas and whole grains of wheat, let alone biting bits of the squash cubes without it being mashed/processed.

i was too worried because they're pretty dumb and were going into it and getting wet. I was scared of them getting too cold.
Hi Callie,
I remembered you having trouble with chicks climbing into the feeders and getting wet in your fermented mash, so I put two pieces of duct tape down the top of mine to reduce the size of the openings (one piece on the inside and one on the outside so there were no sticky parts exposed). Here's a picture. so far nobody has managed to get into the feeder. In a couple days when they need the larger openings I'll just pull the tape off.

My first squash-containing ferment molded :( I didn't get the bubbies pickle juice added until it had been almost 24 hours and had it inside and it ran low on water once, so I restarted it outside (80-90 degrees) with a little less squash and plenty of water. The stuff my chicks are eating now is probably really just soaked and not truly fermented, but still better than dry and hopefully the ferment will take this time!

Back
Top Bottom