Raising Meat Rabbits

Pics
I have a similar set up...with a row of three cages boxes on the back side with doors on front and back and automatic rabbit nipples connected to all three cages.I would however suggest drilling some tiny holes in the back so if they pee it can run out it saves a lot on smell and urine on skin..

I have a similar set up...with a row of three cages boxes on the back side with doors on front and back and automatic rabbit nipples connected to all three cages.I would however suggest drilling some tiny holes in the back so if they pee it can run out it saves a lot on smell and urine on skin..
Drill holes on what?

The bottom of the nest box just a few small ones if the bottom is wood..I have one stand alone cage pretty much like yours and didn't put some holes in that one it smell so bad we are going to replace the box ( not even using it anymore)..because in the winter they would just pee and poo in the box ...I have another that has a big attached box with a built in nest box that rabbit did the same thing in winter but not in the nest area..here is the front of my triple cage before we moved it outside and installed auto waterer..the back had 3 drop down doors so bedding etc can just be pulled straight out...

Ok yea my doe pooped in it the first night so I have it blocked off with a board until she is ready to kindle cause I heard once they know its a nest they wont use it as a toilet

I'm SO glad we finally built new hutches,we got one done a few days ago and another the exact same half built. It's the first time we put a box on the side of a hutch that stays there year round and today is the first day I put my new zeland white doe in there and it's bigger than her last hutch which I love. And when I put her in there she of course hopped around smelling everything and rubbing her chin on the feeder and stuff. She started jumping in and out of the box that has straw in it and she keeps jumping in and moving the straw around and making her little nest(she's not pregnant) and loving her box. I love it and will put a box on every hutch I make because they can get off the wire and have a little spot to there own and snuggle up in and stay warm and feel safe and have a little cubby hole to get into and of course it will be great to kindle in!!! We put a lid on the box so we can access it good. She started jumping in the box and messing around in there and just looks out like wow this is nice what a awesome place!! Anyway I'm gonna breed her for the second time(first time she made a nest and everything but never had kits must have died inside and it would of been her first litter) so I'm gonna try again next weekend with a new buck I'm getting in a couple days. Anyway here are some pictures I took of her in her box

I highly recommend everyone to put a box on the side of there cage or hutch so there rabbits have a nice soft,warm,hideaway,or nest to have all to them selves!!! My doe loves it and can't wait to get my new 12 week old new zealand white buck!!
Great hutch. thanks for posting photos

My Am Chin Louise is such a good mom. These are 4 day old kits... All fat and sassy. She had 11. :)

Momma harliquen mix and 5 day old babies

Momma lionhead mix and 5 day old babies

the babies are 7 days old not 5, hubby is a secret lurker on here always on my account LOL

Last edited:

Here's my new buck I got earlier very happy!! I got him from a friend that lives about a minute down the road for free because she wanted him as a pet but she said he humps everything so she's getting a netherland dwarf. Anyway he is around 12 weeks old and a new zealand white I named him Buster. I'm ready to breed my new zealand white doe but forget when they are old enough to breed and everything go alright. Your not supposed to breed a buck that's too young or old cause it might not take. But I wanted to share my new buck!

Back
Top Bottom