Raising Meat Rabbits

Just to through in an update: I've lined up two bucks and the does to get started thanks to a grew people from BYC on my states social thread. Just that easy. Glad I had the equipment bought ahead even though I have a couple weeks before I pick them up. (all the rabbit breeders are busy, huge show nearby next week).

every time i think about it it is dark..i will take pictures of our 2 new harlequin doe's tommorow they are still in a plan wire cage in the garage until a new cage for them can be built. I have baby picture of a one of them.. i own the middle one..a meat rabbit/lopear dad lion head mom ...grown she is very big around not fat and not very long..a little girl on a local farm raised rabbits and bred them for experiments and to raise money to keep her other 4-h animals

I'll be breeding for meat though, so I just want to ensure I'm breeding to get the best meat.

these 2 are 3 month old harlequin does

the two pet rabbits bad picture dark i actually want out to check on water for the garage bunnies as no heated water bottles have been availble..... we have rabbits for both reasons with 5 kids i have a couple no kill bunnies, name them, cuddle them etc the ones in the garage are named lunch and dinner

Last edited:
The best meat is a matter of opinion they all taste like rabbit some breeds are lg boned so weighing more doesnt always mean more meat some are better breeders some are better mothers and that can equal more meat my first priority is meat but i only breed from good mothers if they dont pull enough fur i eat them if they have small or weak young i eat them and if they ever get sick i cull them immune strength is often overlooked but i do not ever breed any animal that has ever gotten sick

I agree.. that is why i just replaced two doe's the typical types are not very prevolant here as least not without something other in the mix i can find the giant types but i have heard meat to bone ratio is horrible , and the feed it takes to get them to breeding size...

Thank you all. I did read about the meat to bone ratio and have started considering different types of rabbits. I plan on starting with a buck and two does and having the buck and one of the does the same breed and the other doe another breed. Then I can compare crossbreeding. I actually read inbreeding and linebreeding can be a good thing in rabbits which is surprising to me but I will find out I guess.

Back
Top Bottom